Re: [Anima] verification of manufacturer in BRSKI

"Anoop Kumar Pandey" <anoop@cdac.in> Wed, 21 February 2018 04:47 UTC

From: Anoop Kumar Pandey <anoop@cdac.in>
To: 'Toerless Eckert' <tte@cs.fau.de>
Cc: 'Brian E Carpenter' <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, 'Michael Richardson' <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, anima@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 10:15:07 +0530
Subject: Re: [Anima] verification of manufacturer in BRSKI

>the assumption in ANIMA is that the world is actually not-trusted and
instead has a lot of bad things happening and the cryptographic procedures
of BRSKI/ACP serve to create a "trusted domain/network" in the >face of the
largely "untrusted world".

As per our previous conversations:
1. We assume that in a managed network that the JRC *can* know all the
legitimate manufacturers.  The keys can come from sales channel integration
(via digital "packing slips" perhaps), can be manually loaded by humans, be
scanned from QR codes on the box, etc.   - Michael Richardson

2. ANIMA is scoped to support professionally managed networks. So it seems
reasonable to assume that they have procurement procedures in place to buy
from known sources and not to buy kit "off the back of a lorry" to use a
British idiom. - Brian Carpenter

So JRS has all legitimate manufacturers and is procuring pledges from known
sources (out of these legitimate manufacturers), then where is the
hostility?

That's what I was trying to say in my initial mail that given an unknown MI
or a collaboration between pledge and MI, can security be established using
Automated BRSKI?

Also the pledge trusts JRC if JRC is able to pass on the voucher from MASA
to pledge. MASA only checks JRC's certificate. Therefore any JRC having a
valid certificate may pass on the voucher from MASA to pledge and become
owner of the pledge [case of theft].

Anoop> Device need not verify me if it wants to work in my environment or
not.

Toer> BRSKI devices only want to work for their owner.

The will of a pledge is immaterial. A device will recognize anyone as owner
who enters a valid credential. In case of BRSKI, whoever passes voucher from
MASA to pledge.

I bought an iPhone and input my icloud credential, it will start working.
Someone else gets hand on my iPhone, he will reset, put his icloud account
and it will work for him.

Toer>Illegal use of utility into something (physical or not) also gets
classified as theft in many countries. BRSKI protects also against remotely
gaining access/utility to the Pledge.

Anoop> Intrusion in pledge can't be stopped using BRSKI. That depends on
methods of authentication and authorization employed to access the pledge.

Toer> And those methods are meant to be gated by BRSKI/EST.

I believe, BRSKI is a one-time imprinting service to a domain through JRC.
Once that is done, any unauthorized access (depending on the vulnerability
in the pledge) post EST, may not be stopped.

Or may be I am missing something. To clarify, please clear my doubt.

BRSKI, is it one time process?

Or during each access to device will it re-run?

When do we require to re-run this, only on domain-transfer?

Does it happen automatically whenever a device enters a domain or can it
started deliberately?

Regards,

Anoop