Re: [Anima] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane-19: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Mon, 30 December 2019 17:32 UTC

Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 09:30:30 -0800
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, anima-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane@ietf.org, anima@ietf.org, jiangsheng@huawei.com
Subject: Re: [Anima] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane-19: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Toerless,

[Note for everyone else: I've been looking at an editor's copy with some
updates since the -21; diff from the -21 is available at
ttp://tools.ietf.org/tools/rfcdiff/rfcdiff.pyht?url1=https://tools.ietf.org/id/draf
t-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane-21.txt&url2=https://raw.githubusercontent.com/anima-wg/autonomic-control-plane/master/draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane/draf
t-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane.21.1.txt ]

Inline (but reflecting the updated editor's copy)...

On Sun, Nov 03, 2019 at 10:27:41PM +0100, Toerless Eckert wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> In my last reply to your review from Jul 24th (appended below), i resolved
> most issues in -20, and mentioned two open issues. I hope i "resolved" them
> with -21 which i just posted.
>
> Diff 20 - 21:
> http://tools.ietf.org/tools/rfcdiff/rfcdiff.pyht?url1=https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane-20.txt&url2=https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane-21.txt
>
> Complete diff since your last review, -19 -> -21:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/tools/rfcdiff/rfcdiff.pyht?url1=https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane-19.txt&url2=https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane-21.txt
>
> 1. Your suggestion for ASN encoding of domain-information / new ASN element
>    for ACP domain information.
>
> I did list in my last response to you a range of conditions under which we could
> agree that a new ASN.1 certificate element would be a potentially better
> soution than using the rfc822 field. I did discuss this during montreal with the
> WG, but it does really seem as if the rfc822address was the best coice for
> ease of adoption:
>
> The main reason reflected by others was the ability of existing ASN.1 libraries
> to support the rfc822address field without new versions of a library or more
> complex updates/extensions to said libraries.  I think this was also for low-end
> libraries in the IOT space.
>
> I listed other reasons (ease of diagnostics with existing tools, human
> readible string, etc..) too in my last email below.
>
> Aka: At this stage, i would like to stick to the current rfc822address encoding.
> I think we did do a good amount of diligence for it in the WG, and
> existing coding seems to support our decision.
>
> So, i did not change any text for it in -21.

While I can understand that this is an appealing approach, it still seems
to me that the list at the end of Section 6.1.2 reads more as a list of
reasons why it's convenient to use rfc822Name rather than a list of reasons
why it's the right thing to do.  I have been thinking about this topic a
great deal, and consulted with several PKIX experts at IETF 106 during the
week, and got a universal sense that this usage is not an rfc822Name, and
instead is exactly the sort of thing that otherName is meant for.

Accordingly, I'm going to continue to hold a Discuss for this point -- we
need to define how to build the ACP in a PKIX-compliant way.  That may not
preclude individual deployments that build an ACP in a PKIX-non-compliant
way (i.e., rfc822Name), and I could imagine some way to write text that
admits such a possibility while noting that it's not the right thing to do.

That said, my one Discuss point is not the end of the road for things;
since as I understand it the WG has already considered the topic
extensively, it may be time to check with the responsible AD about bringing
the document back on a telechat with, e.g., an alternate ballot procedure
("single-discuss" or the full-on "alternate procedure" from
https://ietf.org/standards/process/iesg-ballots/).  I don't remember
hearing much from any other IESG members on this topic, at least as of yet.

> 2.  Missing crypto parameters.
>
> I think i resolved the missing parameters in -21, pls. see diff.
>
> Re-reading our thread (last reply appended below), you mentioned a
>  desire for GMAC in IPsec, but i went for ENCR_AES_GCM_16
> already in -20 because rfc8221 says:
>
>   "AUTH_AES_128_GMAC status has been downgraded from SHOULD+ to MAY.
>    Along with AUTH_AES_192_GMAC and AUTH_AES_256_GMAC, these algorithms
>    should only be used for AH and not for ESP."
>
> to hopefully wrap up the crypto discussion: If there are any remaining
> crypto parameter gaps, where you can not simply suggest text to resolve them,
> i think the best way to resolve them is in person in singapore. After montreal,
> i sent a request to the crypto experts you recommended me but didn't receive
> reply to the email, so everybody is really busy and its harder and harder
> to resolve smaller and smaller issues via email.

In Singapore I managed to strong-arm Valery Smyslov into taking a look, and
I digested his comments into a pull request at
https://github.com/anima-wg/autonomic-control-plane/pull/9 .  Note that I
marked it as "WIP", as Valery's preferences are to defer to the existing
usage guidelines RFCs as much as possible, so that we don't need to say
anything at all about several of the parameters.  I also wanted to check
one last time that the goal is still to go for the 256-bit security level
across the board, as a couple things might get tweaked otherwise.

> 3. RPL root provisions for logging unknown destinations

Just to be concrete, the updated text does address my last discuss point --
thanks!

Sorry again for the delay -- I really needed some time to try to digest the
rfc822Name topic.

-Ben