[Anima] Magnus Westerlund's No Objection on draft-ietf-anima-grasp-api-08: (with COMMENT)

Magnus Westerlund via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 03 December 2020 14:21 UTC

From: Magnus Westerlund via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: "The IESG" <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-anima-grasp-api@ietf.org, anima-chairs@ietf.org, anima@ietf.org, Sheng Jiang <jiangsheng@huawei.com>, jiangsheng@huawei.com
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 06:21:26 -0800
Subject: [Anima] Magnus Westerlund's No Objection on draft-ietf-anima-grasp-api-08: (with COMMENT)

Magnus Westerlund has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-anima-grasp-api-08: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-anima-grasp-api/

COMMENT:

So I didn't have time to read your document in detail, thus I can easily have
missed something.  Hopefully a bit of clarification on what I might have missed
will resolve this issue.

I do wonder over one aspect of this API surface. How does it handles when the
GRASP layer is unable to send the messages in a timely fashion based on the API
calls? Looking at GRASP I understand that it is using either UDP or TCP. The
rate limiting of UDP does not appear to be more well specified that to follow
RFC 8085 recommendations. So my concern here is that you actually have some
risk of running into that the upper layer using this API tries to become a bit
to active and do everything at once, thus resulting in that TCP congestion
control and flow control might block timely transmissions, and for UDP the rate
limiter / congestion control of the UDP messages. What happens in this API when
this occurs?