Re: [Anima] verification of manufacturer in BRSKI

"Anoop Kumar Pandey" <anoop@cdac.in> Tue, 20 February 2018 05:01 UTC

From: Anoop Kumar Pandey <anoop@cdac.in>
To: 'Brian E Carpenter' <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, 'Michael Richardson' <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, anima@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 10:29:47 +0530
Subject: Re: [Anima] verification of manufacturer in BRSKI

“ANIMA is scoped to support professionally managed networks. So it seems reasonable to assume that they have procurement procedures in place to buy from known sources and not to buy kit "off the back of a lorry" to use a British idiom.”

"Again - a professionally managed network! Our goal in ANIMA is not to eliminate human operators; it is to avoid them having to perform mindless configuration tasks or write obscure scripts. So requiring human action to resolve a security alert is completely acceptable IMHO. In this case the device might have been installed by a service technician thousands of kilometres away from the NOC, and if that technician did install a device from an unknown source, this is exactly a case where the NOC should be alerted."

So, basically you reduced your scope to a professionally managed network. Just for the sake of clarity, if it is just like a trusted world of professionally managed network where pledges being added are from trusted manufacturers, probably we don’t require this cryptographically maintained long procedure of bootstrapping, since trust is derived from the manufacturer. A trusted manufacturer gives a trusted device, that’s all. Suppose we still want to go with this procedure and having our trust in certificates and keys, we don’t require MASA and vouchers. By simply verifying if the IDevID certificate has been signed by a trusted MI or a trusted CA or root-RA should be sufficient for verifying the pledge. Pledge verifying the domain is anyway overrated. Besides, it can also be done by verifying the certificate of JRC during enrolment.

But it is very limited scope. I would work on expanding the scope to any network, any manufacturer-device pair.

I would also like to quote/remind following lines from Section 1.3 [Scope of Solution] of the RFC:

“But this solution is not exclusive to the large, it is intended to scale to thousands of devices located in hostile environments, such as ISP provided CPE devices which are drop-shipped to the end user.  The situation where an order is fulfilled from distributed warehouse from a common stock and shipped directly to the target location at the request of the domain owner is explicitly supported.  That stock ("SKU") could be provided to a number of potential domain owners, and the eventual domain owner will not know a-priori which device will go to which location.”

Regards,

Anoop