[Anima] rfc822Name "abuse" in Autonomic Control Plane document

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Tue, 16 June 2020 00:20 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: anima@ietf.org
cc: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>, kaduk@mit.edu
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 20:20:33 -0400
Subject: [Anima] rfc822Name "abuse" in Autonomic Control Plane document

Hi, I have had a few conversations with Toerless who is trying to deal with
the feedback on the ACP document.

An item that has come up is the use, or claimed abuse of the rfc822Name SAN.

We already had this debate.
Some time ago.  The WG decided.
Three or four years ago, I think.

I sure wish that we could use something else.
But, CAs and CA software make that very difficult.

Given that the era of publically anchored Enterprise CAs is dead, there are
only two ways an (Enterprise) ACP Registrar is going to occur.

1) by running a private CA.
   Sure anything is possible if you are writing your own code, but
   most will not be doing that. (I've supported otherName in my code for
   other purposes, and it's not that difficult, but it's not trivial either)
   My experience with COTS CA systems it that it's really hard to
   get them to do it.    Please prove me wrong.
   The most popular Enterprise CA software is the Microsoft CA.

2) by using ACME to speak to a hosted CA.  Maybe WebPKI, maybe not.
   Either way, getting otherName supported is even harder, because
   nobody else uses it.

If we can't depend upon otherName being filled in, then we have to look for
two things.  That means more code paths (two more) to test, more test
vectors, and what exactly does an end point do when both are present, BUT
THEY DO NOT MATCH?  So three more pages of text there.
Remember, that just rejecting the certificate means that we have to send out
a truck, which is what ACP aims to avoid, so that won't be popular.
And of course, there could also be bugs (maybe even CVEs) in the code that
tries to deal with the tie.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-