Re: [Anima] Martin Vigoureux's Block on charter-ietf-anima-01-05: (with BLOCK and COMMENT)

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Wed, 01 May 2019 13:53 UTC

Date: Wed, 01 May 2019 15:53:13 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>
Cc: Martin Vigoureux <martin.vigoureux@nokia.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, anima-chairs@ietf.org, anima@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Anima] Martin Vigoureux's Block on charter-ietf-anima-01-05: (with BLOCK and COMMENT)

Martin, Barry, *:

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 02:59:10PM -0400, Barry Leiba wrote:
> > I am under the impression that there is a small ambiguity in the charter, which
> > shouldn't be hard to resolve:
> >
> >    ANIMA work will rely on the framework described in
> >    draft-ietf-anima-reference-model. [...] The three areas of the framework are
> >    [...] and (3) Intent.
> >
> >    ANIMA will not work on Intent [...] without explicit rechartering.
> >
> > The first piece seems to allow for working on Intent while the second clearly
> > not (within the current charter).
>
> I tripped over that also when I first read it, but then understood:
> the WG will rely on the framework, which includes a set of things.
> Not all of those things will be worked on via this charter.  In
> particular, "intent" is one of the things that won't be.

Indeeed. ANIMA was started from the framework for autonomous
networking from NMRG. That included intent. In the past years of ANIMA
work we came to the conclusion that intent is as desirable as it we
thought originally, but that there is not enough clarity yet to
standardize how to do it. Nobody could come up non-contentious real
standardizable examples. So effectively we are trying to make progress
with intent definitions in NMRG and then bring it back to ANIMA later
for standardization.

> As I read it, I think the charter is OK.  I suppose it could be
> clarified this way:
>
> OLD
> ANIMA work will rely on the framework described in
> draft-ietf-anima-reference-model. Work not related to this framework is welcome
> for review, but WG adoption of such work requires explicit rechartering. The
> three areas of the framework are (1) the Autonomic Networking Infrastructure
> (ANI), (2) Autonomic Functions (AF) built from software modules called
> Autonomic Service Agents (ASA) and (3) Intent.
>
> NEW
> ANIMA work will rely on the framework described in
> draft-ietf-anima-reference-model, though only parts of the framework are
> in scope for this charter, as detailed below.  Work not related to
> this framework
> is welcome for review, but WG adoption of such work requires explicit
> rechartering.
> The three areas of the framework are (1) the Autonomic Networking Infrastructure
> (ANI), (2) Autonomic Functions (AF) built from software modules called
> Autonomic Service Agents (ASA) and (3) Intent.
> END

Yes. I like that. Martin, is that ok. for you ?

> > I'm not sure to understand what the following means:
> >
> >    Acceptance of work items by the WG will be scheduled/throttled so that
> >    contributors can target them to enter WG last call after not more than a number
> >    of IETF meeting cycles agreed by the AD.
>
> As I read it, it means that the working group won't take on so much
> work that the work they do take on doesn't get done.  Acceptance is
> based on negotiating a schedule (based on meeting cycles), and if the
> schedule isn't met, new work items can't be accepted.

Exactly. This was just added to give recognition to the fact that we are
trying to learn from our first round charter experience to become more
agile and managing author resources better.

Thanks
    Toerless