Re: [Anima] Last Call: <draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-20.txt> (Bootstrapping Remote Secure Key Infrastructures (BRSKI)) to Proposed Standard

"Fries, Steffen" <steffen.fries@siemens.com> Wed, 29 May 2019 15:07 UTC

From: "Fries, Steffen" <steffen.fries@siemens.com>
To: "anima@ietf.org" <anima@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 15:06:54 +0000
x-document-confidentiality: NotClassified
x-originating-ip: [139.22.70.50]
Subject: Re: [Anima] Last Call: <draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-20.txt> (Bootstrapping Remote Secure Key Infrastructures (BRSKI)) to Proposed Standard

Hi,

As this is the last call, it may not be to late to ask the question. I read the draft a couple of times and was stumbling upon the following:

In Figure 1 of the BRSKI draft, for the communication between the Domain Registrar (RA) and the Key Infrastructure (CA), EST is stated.
>From my understanding of the description EST as enrollment protocol between an RA and the CA is meant exemplary but not prescriptive? From the protocol flow for the enrollment itself I understood BRSKI describes the flow until the Domain Registrar but is open regarding the protocol applied between the domain registrar and the CA. It may be EST.

Is my understanding right? If yes, would it be appropriate to state "e.g., EST (RFC 7030)" in the figure to make clear it is an example?

Best regards
Steffen