Re: [Anima] Adoption call for draft-liu-anima-grasp-distribution (ends 01/27/2020)

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Mon, 10 February 2020 23:12 UTC

Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 00:12:33 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: anima@ietf.org
Cc: draft-liu-anima-grasp-distribution@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Anima] Adoption call for draft-liu-anima-grasp-distribution (ends 01/27/2020)

We had 5 voices feedback (from non-authors) to support adoption of this
document, and no voices objecting. I think this qualifies for adoption
of the document.

Nevertheless, the supporting voices did indicate a range of improvements
they would like to see. So, jere is what i would propose:

Dear-authors:

A) Please add a section Open Issues, mark it as
[RFC-Editor: To Be removed before becoming RFC].
Make it contain the following text:

The following issues where identified by the WG when adopting the -00
draft version. These issues will be individually removed in upcoming
when they are resolved.

1. More reference to the use cases in the introduction.

2. Better explanation of the required context of the Connected-Car case:
Not applicable unless the ACP will be extended to the car, which may
not be desirable with the current ACP design, but maybe refocussing
on an "autonomous fleet" use-case (e.g.: all cars operated by some taxi
like service).

3. Consider use-case/example of firmware update.  By abstracting the location
of the firmware from the name of the firmware, while providing a way
to notify about it, this significantly supports distribution of firmware updates.
References to SUIT would appropriate.

4. Issues discussed in https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/anima/_0fYQPBcLPt8xzQee7P4dILsn3A

5. Rethink/refine terminology, e.g.: "module" seems to be too prescriptive.
Refine proposed extensions.

6. I support adoption, but also support the suggestion (from IETF106)
Provide more protocol behavior description  instead of only
implementation / software module architecture description.
Reduce the latter or provide better justification for their presence due
to explained interoperability requirements.

7. Better motivation in sections 1..4 of the proposed extensions

8. Consider moving examples from appendices into core-text . Ideally
craft a single use-case showing/applying all extensions (most simple use
case that uses them all).

9. Refine terminology to better match/reuse-the established terminology
from the pre-existing ANIMA documents.

B) Add changelog section, equally marked as to be removed before . For this
version -00 it should just list above section from A) to be new.

C) Designate in the authors list one or two main editors for the time
   being, doesn't have to be final, just whoever has the main edit pen
   from you.  Post this version as -00 with name
   draft-ietf-anima-grasp-distribution-00
   and replacing draft-liu-anima-grasp-distribution

   I will then approve that doc as WG chair.

D) Feel free to work on -01 and further. In the changelog, please
   describe for each change which of the above 9 points are addressed by
   the change and concentrate on those changes first before addressing
   further enhancements.

E) I would strongly suggest you authors consider to create a repo for
   this document under www.github.com/anima-wg It specifically makees
   it easier to open for each of the above 10 bullet points possible
   "Issues" where it would be easier to have focussed discusses.

   I am not a github is the only way groupie though, so please make sure
   all discussions are Cc'ed to the mailing list, even though it may primarily be on
   github to make then easier to track/find.

Cheers
    Toerless