[Anima] BRSKI<->ACME use case (was: Re: FWD: ACME for devices side meeting)

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Wed, 24 July 2019 22:34 UTC

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 00:34:32 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: anima@ietf.org
Cc: "Owen Friel (ofriel)" <ofriel@cisco.com>
Subject: [Anima] BRSKI<->ACME use case (was: Re: FWD: ACME for devices side meeting)

Some thoughts about draft-friel-acme-integration also after the ACME side meeting.

Talking to Owen after ANIMA, he explained the use case for his draft,
which would be great to include into a rev. At least i hope i wasn't
the only one to whom it wasn't completely obvious even without being
stated ;-))

The way i would desribe the use-case is this:

You are an enterprise or home, you may have some BRSKI like
infrastructure (cloud-based, local, whatever) that helps to auto-enroll
any type of devices you want to use in your network, but: Many of these
devices will have a web-server to access/control/use them, and when
you access them via a browser there is the issue that web browsers
will complain unless the device is enrolled with a certificate signed
by a public PKI CA (in the browsers TA list) and can be used to
authenticate the domain name the device is using.

This is where ACME comes in because the key thing separating itself from
EST is that it has the mechanisms so RA (registrars) can provide proof
of ownership of a DNS domain/prefixes for which they can then request
certificates. At least thats how i understood the explanation given to me.

So, i would certainly welcome if we made sure BRSKI<->ACME can be made
to work well.

Another thing coming to mind: devices that have a web-server will
support TCP, so they won't pose the problem of having to change the
basic transport protocol to use for BRSKI, unlike the constrained "iot"
devices, where we have to use protocols like CoAP. And given how
we made sure that the ANI certificate pieces do not conflict with any
type of certifictes attributes required for "web certificates", this
should also all work well with not only BRSKI but even ANI (using
certificates with the ACP rfc822Name). At least this would be my hope,
and certainly something i would like to verify with ACME.

Cheer
    Toerless