[Anima] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-22: (with COMMENT)

Mirja Kühlewind via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 11 July 2019 13:38 UTC

From: Mirja Kühlewind via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra@ietf.org, Toerless Eckert <tte+ietf@cs.fau.de>, anima-chairs@ietf.org, tte+ietf@cs.fau.de, anima@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 06:38:48 -0700
Subject: [Anima] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-22: (with COMMENT)

Mirja Kühlewind has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-22: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra/

COMMENT:

I agree with Alissa's discuss that the conclusion of section 10(.3) should be
to recommend a manual configuration mode. Also with respect to section 10.2: if
ownership is "enforced" by the manufacturer, there should also probably be a
way for the buyer to check if ownership was transferred by the saler during the
re-sale process.

Two other small comments on more load related points:

1) sec 4.1: "Connection attempts SHOULD be run in parallel to avoid head of
queue
   problems wherein an attacker running a fake proxy or registrar could
   perform protocol actions intentionally slowly.  The pledge SHOULD
   continue to listen to for additional GRASP M_FLOOD messages during
   the connection attempts."
One minor comment: Maybe also say explicitly, while running in parallel, one
should not send all initial messages at exactly the same time but pace  them
out (e.g. one every 3 secs) to avoid network overload when initial connectivity
is very constraint.

2) sec 4.3: " It must
   be sufficiently low that the aggregate amount of periodic M_FLOODs
   from all EST servers causes negligible traffic across the ACP."
I know this is a little bit a blurry requirement but I would still like to see
a MUST here. Or maybe give an upper bound for the maximum frequency, e.g. MUST
NOT send more than once per minute...? Not sure it there is a reasonable value
here.