Re: [Anima] rfc822Name use in Autonomic Control Plane document

Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com> Fri, 19 June 2020 16:33 UTC

From: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 12:32:56 -0400
Cc: Ben Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>, anima@ietf.org
To: Brian Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Anima] rfc822Name use in Autonomic Control Plane document

Brian:

I disagree with your characterization of the situation.  RFC 5280 talks about Subject Alternative Names, and the rfc822Name is used for an email address.  This specification puts something other than an email address in that field, and I raised a concern when I reviewed the document.  Other name forms are explicitly accommodated by otherName, and in my review, I suggested using otherName instead of rfc822Name.

I observe that jabber IDs have the same syntax as an email address, but they are not carried in rfc822name because the semantics are different.

One cannot send email to the character string in this specification, so it should not be carried in the rfc822name.

Russ