Re: [Anima] WGLC on draft-ietf-anima-stable-connectivity-03 - Respond by July 28, 2017

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Mon, 18 September 2017 05:38 UTC

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 07:38:48 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Cc: Anima WG <anima@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Anima] WGLC on draft-ietf-anima-stable-connectivity-03 - Respond by July 28, 2017

Thanks, Brian:

The "OLD" paragraph you list was from -04. After your review i had already
changed this in -05 to

NEW:

   To connect IPv4 only management plane devices/applications with the
   ACP, some form of IP/ICMP translation of packets IPv4<->IPv6 is
   necessary.  The basic mechanisms for this are defined in SIIT
   ([RFC7915]).  There are multiple solutions using this mechanisms.  To
   understand the possible solutions, we consider the requirements:

http://tools.ietf.org/tools/rfcdiff/rfcdiff.pyht?url1=https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-anima-stable-connectivity-04.txt&url2=https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-anima-stable-connectivity-05.txt

I also did spend a good amount of time because of your -04 review and prior
request by mohammed to detail in the following parapgraphs the possible
options in more detail.  That text leverages the 'SIIT' term and
discusses the EAM solutions (RFC7757 is best).

Given how this is an informational OPS document,
i think it is helpfull to elaborate on the understood details of
requirements and how known current solutions fit them.

 The fact that none of the
currently defined NAT solutions provides for the most simple possible
configuration (aka: minimum number of prefix EAM's to configure) is
also IMHO a perfectly valid outcome for an OPS document.

It could mean that users will simply accept the need for longer mnaual
NAT config (long list of 1:1 mappings) or vendors implement a proprietary
EAM (explicit address mapping) CLI to make it simpler. Or users will
move faster to IPv6 on the NOC ;-)

So, for the time being, i just commited -06 with the second fix.

Let me know what you folks think about WG last call status of
the stable connectivity draft.

Cheers
    Toerless