[Anima] ANIMA: WG call for consensus BRSKI "endpoint path" modification (was: Re: Status of renaming endpoint path?)

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Tue, 01 September 2020 01:59 UTC

Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2020 03:59:06 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Anima WG <anima@ietf.org>
Cc: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
Subject: [Anima] ANIMA: WG call for consensus BRSKI "endpoint path" modification (was: Re: Status of renaming endpoint path?)

Dear ANIMA WG

This email starts a 2 week call for consensus to modify draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra
such that new well-known URIs introduced by BRSKI will use a /.well-known/brski
prefix instead of the pre-existing /.well-known/est prefix.

The proposed change can be seen at the following rfcdiff URL:

https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-43&url2=draft-richardson-anima-brski-renamed-00

This consensus call will end on September 14, 23:59 UTC
This consensus call is ONLY for said change and not for any other aspects of BRSKI.

If you have any objections to this change, please explain them by replying to
this email during this period. If you agree with these changes please say so as well.

FYI: What would happen afterwards ?

a) If ANIMA does not have consensus, nothing more would happen, BRSKI would continue
   stay unchanged in RFC editor queue waiting to be released by ACP draft

b) If ANIMA WG has rough consensus on this change:

- Warren Kumari or Robert Wilton would start a 2 week IETF consensus call on the subject.
- When not successful, see a)

-  When successful:

- BRSKI authors would rev' the BRSKI document with the proposed text change,
- the responsible AD (Warren) would update the YES on the document
- Mark Nottingham as the responsible expert for the impacted IANA registry would
  have to agree on the proposed registry change (which according to prior emails
  he seems to be)
- IESG would approve the change, the rev'ed version of BRSKI would go into RFC Editor queue

According to Warrens prior emails (see below), this whole process should take ca. 5 weeks,
which is shorter than the current queue length of RFC-editor, and that is still
predicating that ACP draft is approved quickly by IESG (see below)

Hopefully i did no misrepresent any of the FYI steps.

Thank you very much
    Toerless (for the ANIMA WG chairs).

P.S.: appended Warrens prior summary.

P.S.2.: Warren: I didn't send this mail earlier because from your writeup below it sounded
as if my top priority should still be to work through 1922 lines of "this should be easy to fix"
DISCUSS/COMMENTS from IESG against ACP to shorten the time BRSKI would have to wait in RFC
editor queue - with or without this modification. But the increasing grouching level on
the mailing list about this subject told me that this priorization was wrong. I apologize.