Re: [Anima] Result//Re: WGLC for draft-ietf-anima-brski-ae-04, ends April 3rd, 2023

David von Oheimb <it@von-Oheimb.de> Tue, 02 May 2023 14:56 UTC

From: David von Oheimb <it@von-Oheimb.de>
To: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>, draft-ietf-anima-brski-ae <draft-ietf-anima-brski-ae@ietf.org>, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, Brian E Carpenter <Brian.E.carpenter@gmail.com>
Cc: anima <anima@ietf.org>, anima-chairs <anima-chairs@ietf.org>, Hendrik Brockhaus <Hendrik.Brockhaus@siemens.com>, Steffen Fries <steffen.fries@siemens.com>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2023 16:56:38 +0200
Subject: Re: [Anima] Result//Re: WGLC for draft-ietf-anima-brski-ae-04, ends April 3rd, 2023

Dear Brian, Toerless, Michael, et al.,

thank you
 * Brian for your comment during the WGLC,
 * Toerless for your further quick shepherd review thereafter, and
 * Michael for your response on the latter on how to reference EST,

all quoted below.

I've meanwhile prepared an intermediate version of the draft that is not
yet officially submitted to IETF,
i.e., a preview of version 05, available
at https://github.com/anima-wg/anima-brski-ae

The change log so far is:

 * Remove entries from the terminology section that should be clear from
   BRSKI
 * Tweak use of the terms IDevID and LDevID and replace PKI RA/CA by
   RA/CA
 * Add the abbreviation 'LwCMP' for Lightweight CMP to the terminology
   section
 * State clearly in Section 5.1 that LwCMP is mandatory when using CMP
 * Change URL of BRSKI-AE-overview graphics to slide on IETF 116 meeting
   material

The first two items were suggested internally by Steffen,
while the remaining ones address the below points by Toerless and Brian.

Regarding the reference to EST, the authors discussed this and came to
the conclusion
that we better keep the reference to EST [RFC 7030] as informative
because we do not really depend on its contents
since the EST instance of BRSKI-AE has effectively been removed from the
draft (and just remain as a theoretical option).
The only "feature" that stems from EST that we take over in BRSKI-AE,
namely the endpoint naming scheme,
is already covered by the reference to BRSKI [RFC 8995], such that
having BRSKI as a normative reference fully covers this.
OTOH, the references to CMP are clearly normative for the case that
BRSKI-AE is instantiated to CMP,
which we have made more explicit in the upcoming version as stated in
the above change log.

Thus we believe that we have covered all open points,
and since the IPR poll has been finished as well,
the draft would be ready for being submitted and for AD review,
but:

On Thu, 2023-04-27 at 11:02 +0000, Fries, Steffen wrote:
To: anima@ietf.org <anima@ietf.org>
Subject: [Anima] Design Team Meeting discussion (April 25) on BRSKI-PRM
discovery with cross relation to BRSKI-AE

> Independent of the final solution picked, as BRSKI-AE is also
> enhancing the functionality of a BRSKI registrar by supporting
> alternative enrollment protocols, the same approach is to be intended
> for BRSKI-AE as well. Therefore, we will wait with the submission of
> an updated BRSKI-AE draft until the discussion has ended.

So we are holding back the draft until this has been sorted out,
most likely resulting in a small paragraph to be added to BRSKI-AE.

If there is any further comment or suggestion for improval, please let
us (the authors) know.

Best,
David