[Ans-research] RE: [manet] Request for clarification...

"John Stine" <jstine@mitre.org> Wed, 15 September 2004 11:32 UTC

From: John Stine <jstine@mitre.org>
To: shahriar@ailab.uohyd.ernet.in, manet@ietf.org, ans-research@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 07:21:23 -0400
Subject: [Ans-research] RE: [manet] Request for clarification...
Sender: ans-research-bounces@ietf.org

 Shahriar,

	The fact is there are no definitive solutions to ad hoc networking
and there are many different philosophies on where and how things should be
solved.  The routing protocols that have been the product of the Manet
working group do not yet meet the expectations of the most cited users of ad
hoc networks, military and emergency relief users.  There are many research
programs and those I am aware of are pursuing solutions that are very
different than those proposed by manet.  Although research in wireless
packet radio networks and ad hoc networks has been going on for 30 years in
one form or another, you are still at an early stage to get involved.

	I personally believe that a deficiency in most research is that we
are trying to make ad hoc networks look like wireline networks when they
simply are not.  I present an alternative in a paper that was published just
this month in IEEE JSAC.  Please see

Stine, J.A. and de Veciana, G., "A Paradigm for Quality-of-Service in
Wireless Ad Hoc Networks Using Synchronous Signaling and Node States" IEEE
JSAC, Vol. 20, No. 7, Sep 2004, pp. 1301-1321.

In this paper, I give an alternative approach to designing protocols for ad
hoc networks and in that approach I provide answers to most of your
questions and many others.  I hesitated to respond to your question because
what I propose is likely to be controversial and so likely to result in a
lot of challenges which I may not have the time to answer. Nevertheless, you
have the reference.  Those who want to discuss the concepts I propose, I
recommend we do so on the ans-research mailing list.

John Stine