Re: [Apn] [arch-d] Questions for APN: Q#5

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Mon, 21 September 2020 15:31 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 11:31:10 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>, "Pengshuping (Peng Shuping)" <pengshuping@huawei.com>, apn@ietf.org
cc: network-tokens@ietf.org, architecture-discuss@iab.org
Subject: Re: [Apn] [arch-d] Questions for APN: Q#5

Agreed.  And let me stress and expand on one of his points.  The
ARPANET and Internet were built on top of a small number of
basic design principles and goals.  One was to be completely
insensitive to the applications being run so that packets,
routing, and policies could be application-independent.  We've
pushed the boundaries of that principle in the past but, unless
I misunderstand your proposal, its effect would be to abandon it
entirely.  If so, I think the community needs a fairly
comprehensive explanation of why that is necessary and how to
control or mitigate the negative effects.

   john

--On Monday, September 21, 2020 09:45 -0400 "Joel M. Halpern"

>>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zhang-apn-acceleration-use