Re: AppleTalk SNMP MIB status question

Steven Waldbusser <waldbusser+@cmu.edu> Fri, 04 February 1994 05:13 UTC

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 1994 23:17:38 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Steven Waldbusser <waldbusser+@cmu.edu>
To: apple-ip@cayman.cayman.com
Subject: Re: AppleTalk SNMP MIB status question

Excerpts from mail: 28-Jan-94 Re: AppleTalk SNMP MIB stat.. RL "Bob"
Morgan@networki (2308*)

> > I am aware there is a draft proposal for a MIB II, but I am unable to
> > ascertain the status of this proposal.

> It's my impression that the proposed new AppleTalk MIB (I think commonly called
> MIB+ so as not to confuse it with the IP MIB-II) has fallen into a black hole
> due to the dissolution of the IETF Apple-IP working group and the creation of
> the ANF.

While the lack of discussion about the MIB during the transition to the
ANF has certainly been a contributing factor, most of the blame lies
with me.  I have not had enough time to finish this up.  However,
spurred on by this renewed interest, I am interested in getting this MIB
published.

A couple of points about the status of things might help clear up some
misconceptions.  First of all, the apple-ip WG group does still exist.
John Viezades handed over the chairpersonship to Fidelia Kuang at Apple.
 The working group's sole mission in life is to get the AppleTalk MIB 2
published.

The last status of the working group regarding this MIB was that there
was a general concensus on the last set of changes (mostly the addition
of the per-port stats) to be applied to the MIB. Karen Frisa applied
those changes to the MIB and published it as an Internet Draft, and
asked for final comments on the MIB, to which there was no reply, which
seems to reaffirm the concensus.  The only things left to do were a
final quality control check of the document and to go through the
process of NM Directorate review and publication.  We are still in this
final state, except that the Internet Draft has expired since then.  I
have gone through a quality control check of the MIB and have made only
formatting changes to the document.  I've submitted this document to be
published as an Internet Draft.

This MIB essentially supercedes RFC1243.  We could advance them both
through the standards track, but I believe the right thing to do is to
leave RFC1243 at proposed standard and advance this MIB to draft and
then full standard.  The Apple-IP working group would be finished when
AppleTalk MIB 2 is published as a proposed standard.  It would be
reformed and rechartered to address each of the two stages of
advancement through the IETF standards track.  It might also be possible
for the ANF to do this work. However, that is uncharted territory. What
really matters that the right people are involved, and we are assured of
that either way because it is the same group of people..  I don't think
there is any reason for us to worry about that decision now.

I think it would be a great idea for the ANF to work on a document that
described how to use the MIB, especially to management station writers
who may not be familiar with AppleTalk and may not understand why we
instrument certain things.

I would recommend that we re-affirm the concensus on the document in
this form, and publish it as a proposed standard RFC.  We worked on it
for a long time, I don't think it's going to get any better.

Thanks,
Steve

P.S.  Note that I mailed this message to the apple-ip mailing list.  I
believe that this list is exactly equal to the anf-disc list.  If this
is not true, please let me know and I'll also send it to that list.