Re: Appletalk Network across Internet

Jonathan Wenocur <jhw@shiva.com> Mon, 28 February 1994 18:01 UTC

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 11:47:12 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Jonathan Wenocur <jhw@shiva.com>
To: apple-ip@cayman.cayman.com, mewan@iastate.edu, pmorton@cisco.com
Subject: Re: Appletalk Network across Internet

>> Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 03:52:58 -0800
>> To: mewan@iastate.edu, apple-ip@cayman.Cayman.COM
>> From: pmorton@cisco.com (Phil Morton)
>> Subject: Re: Appletalk Network across Internet
>>
>> Try IPTalk - it's available from Hyde Park Software.
>> Email info@hydepark.com
>>
>> Phil Morton
>>
>> At 11:53 PM 2/26/94 -0600, mewan@iastate.edu wrote:
>> >Dear Sir:
>> >
>> >Hello!  My name is Jude M. Mallawaaratchy, and I am a Proffessor of Mechanical
>> >Engineering at Iowa State University.  I read your name on Internet in a
>> >helpfile about Macintosh networking and wondered if you could please help me.
>> >
>> >I own two Macintosh computers, one in Minnesota("MinnHD") and the other in
>> >Iowa("IowaHD"), and both are connected to Internet and have their own IP
>> >addresses.  IowaHD is serving as one of hundreds of campus-wide fileservers
>> >in a network containing several Appletalk Zones.
>> >
>> >Is it possible to somehow incorporate MinnHD into the Appletalk network in
>> >Iowa State via Internet and thus allow me easy remote access to IowaHD and
>> >other fileservers at Iowa State?
>> >
>> >I currently use an ARA connection via modem to achieve this task.  But a
>> >similar connection via Internet would be so much quicker and reliable than
>> >any modem connection, and much more accessible than ftp.  I would really
>> >appreciate any help or advice you could offer me on how to achieve my goal.
>> >
>> >Thank you.
>> >				Sincerely,
>> >				Jude M. Mallawaaratchy
>> >				mewan@iastate.edu
>>
>> Phil Morton                                     Cisco Systems
>> Software Engineer                               1525 O'Brien Drive
>> 415 688 7632                                    Menlo Park, CA 94025
>> "We're all victims of software and programmers are the perpetrators"

In all fairness IPTalk is also available from:

- Shiva Corp
- Cayman Systems
- Compatible Systems
- Cisco
- Webster Computer
(and I think some others too)

As well as other tunneling solutions from Cisco, Shiva, Cayman, Apple
(ranging from GRE, to Dr. Pepper, to AURP, to TREDI, not necessarily
in that order).  There are also personal tunneling solutions
available.  Many choices!

-- Jonathan