Re: [apps-discuss] AJAX is the new NAT

Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@acm.org> Wed, 23 March 2011 22:39 UTC

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 15:41:11 -0700
From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@acm.org>
To: "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>
Cc: Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] AJAX is the new NAT

On 03/23/2011 02:48 PM, Peterson, Jon wrote:

> I don't think the IETF started working on NATs because we all woke up one
> morning and decided that NATs were a great benefit to the Internet after all.
> We started working on NATs because we recognized that market forces well out
> of our control had selected NATs as a part of the Internet, whether we liked
> it or not. When we do our work, we have a choice: do we want to make the
> Internet better, or make better an imaginary network that embodies what we
> ideally want the Internet to be?
>
> To the argument that javascript leads us back to the innovation-crippling
> "telecom model," and that building applications on top of the web is
> inherently antithetical to end-to-end principles, I can only say that
> numerous small developers seem to leverage the web ecosystem today for their
> business, and that although there are giants in the web field who collect the
> lion's share of the revenue, the same seems to be true in the routing vendor
> business, say. If we do our job in the IETF, and build tools that will
> support security, scalability and interoperability in the web space, I don't
> think this design space poses any greater danger to the end-to-end model than
> we see elsewhere in the IETF. If we neglect our responsibilities in this
> space, however, and then probably lower-layer components will adopt
> non-interoperable working parts, and we will drift closer to the forecasted
> "splinternet." The discussion in RTC-Web about the potential for
> interoperability between different web VoIP services throws this into painful
> relief.

This is the trapezoidal model - exactly the same model used by SIP, which makes
you unable to call the videophone on my desk, even if they use the same exact
codec, SIP and IP protocol.  I do not see how adding JavaScript in the mix can
improve anything - excepted the bottom line of a few.

Besides the role of the IETF should be to increase the relevance of the end to
end argument, not just merely verifying that a new design does not pose a danger
to it.