Re: [apps-discuss] I-D Action: draft-ietf-appsawg-file-scheme-07.txt

Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org> Wed, 20 April 2016 23:18 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 00:18:33 +0100
From: Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org>
To: Matthew Kerwin <matthew@kerwin.net.au>, IETF Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, Murray Kucherawy <superuser@gmail.com>
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Dave Crocker <dcrocker@bbiw.net>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] I-D Action: draft-ietf-appsawg-file-scheme-07.txt

Hi Matthew,

I think the main body of the document is a lot crisper now.  I have a couple of
comments from a fairly quick scan.  The main substantive comment is that local
access can occur when the file URI contains a host name which is the same as
that for the host from which access is being attempted.

I've not done a detailed read through of the appendices - much of the material
there is outside my experience.

Section 2:

[[
    Some file systems allow directory objects to be treated as files in
    some cases.  This can be reflected in a file URI by omitting the
    trailing slash "/" from the path.  Be aware that merging a relative
    URI reference to such a base URI as per Section 5.2 of [RFC3986]
    could remove the directory name from the resulting target URI.
]]

I think the second sentence is wandering into local implementation details.  I'd
suggest focusing more on the idea that the trailing slash should be included in
URIs that refer to directories.

Section 3:

[[
    A file URI can be dependably dereferenced or translated to a local
    file path only if it is local.  A file URI is considered "local" if
    it has no "file-auth", or the "file-auth" is the special string
    "localhost".
]]

There's also the case when the hostname resolves to the local host.

#g