Re: [apps-discuss] Last Call Expired: <draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech-14.txt> (APPSDIR review)

Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com> Mon, 15 April 2013 10:22 UTC

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 12:21:00 +0200
From: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
To: S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com>
Cc: apps-discuss@ietf.org, Salvatore D'Antonio <salvatore.dantonio@uniparthenope.it>, iesg@ietf.org, ipfix@ietf.org, draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech.all@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Last Call Expired: <draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech-14.txt> (APPSDIR review)

Salvatore, document shepherd,
> Hi Salvatore,
> At 00:38 10-04-2013, Salvatore D'Antonio wrote:
>> I did not adequately addressed your comment because I thought that the
>> guidelines specified in RFC 5226 were sufficient to deal with the issues
>> concerning the management of the sub-registry.
>
> Ok.
>
>> I would greatly appreciate if you could provide me with the reference
>> to a
>> Draft where documentation and criteria for managing assignments are
>> specified so that I may use such Draft as an example.
>
> Section 4.1 of RFC 5226 points to Sections 6 and 7.2 in RFC 3748 as an
> example about Expert Review.  Section 7.1 of RFC 5102 is another
> example.  I suggest discussing the proposed change with the document
> shepherd or the Area Director to see whether it is appropriate.
A similar example is http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5476#section-8.2,
which refers to http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5477#section-8.2.1

Combining this text with your IANA considerations, this should be...
Document shepherd and authors, please double-check, it's easy to make a
mistake.

            9.1.1
            <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech-15#section-9.1.1>.
            flowSelectorAlgorithm

           This Information Element identifies the Intermediate Flow
           Selection Process technique (e.g., Filtering, Sampling) that is
           applied by the Intermediate Flow Selection Process.

           Most of these techniques have parameters.  Its configuration
           parameter(s) MUST be clearly specified.  Further Information
           Elements are needed to fully specify packet selection with these
           methods and all their parameters.

           Further method identifiers may be added to the list below.  It
           might be necessary to define new Information Elements to specify
           their parameters.

           The flowSelectorAlgorithm registry is maintained by IANA.  New
           assignments for the registry will be administered by IANA, on a
           First Come First Served basis [RFC5226  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5226>], subject to Expert Review
           [RFC5226  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5226>].

           The registry can be updated when specifications of the new
           method(s) and any new Information Elements are provided.

           The group of experts must double check the flowSelectorAlgorithm
           definitions and Information Elements with already defined
           flowSelectorAlgorithm and Information Elements for completeness,
           accuracy, and redundancy.  Those experts will initially be drawn
           from the Working Group Chairs and document editors of the IPFIX
           and PSAMP Working Groups.

           The following Intermediate Flow Selection Process Techniques
           identifiers are defined here:

               +----+------------------------+--------------------------+
               | ID |        Technique       |      Parameters          |
               +----+------------------------+--------------------------+
               | 1  | Systematic count-based | flowSamplingInterval     |
               |    | Sampling               | flowSamplingSpacing      |
               +----+------------------------+--------------------------+
               | 2  | Systematic time-based  | flowSamplingTimeInterval |
               |    | Sampling               | flowSamplingTimeSpacing  |
               +----+------------------------+--------------------------+
               | 3  | Random n-out-of-N      | samplingSize             |
               |    | Sampling               | samplingPopulation       |
               +----+------------------------+--------------------------+
               | 4  | Uniform probabilistic  | samplingProbability      |
               |    | Sampling               |                          |
               +----+------------------------+--------------------------+
               | 5  | Property Match         | Information Element      |
               |    | Filtering              | Value Range              |
               +----+------------------------+--------------------------+
               |   Hash-based Filtering      | hashInitialiserValue     |
               +----+------------------------+ hashFlowDomain           |
               | 6  | using BOB              | hashSelectedRangeMin     |
               +----+------------------------+ hashSelectedRangeMax     |
               | 7  | using IPSX             | hashOutputRangeMin       |
               +----+------------------------+ hashOutputRangeMax       |
               | 8  | using CRC              |                          |
               | 9  | Flow-state Dependent   | No agreed Parameters     |
               |    | Intermediate Flow      |                          |
               |    | Selection Process      |                          |

                   Intermediate Flow Selection Process Techniques

        Abstract Data Type: unsigned16

        ElementId: TBD1

        Data Type Semantics: identifier

Regards, Benoit.