[apps-discuss] Webfinger & acct: draft

Goix Laurent Walter <laurentwalter.goix@telecomitalia.it> Fri, 18 November 2011 11:34 UTC

From: Goix Laurent Walter <laurentwalter.goix@telecomitalia.it>
To: "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:34:20 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: [apps-discuss] Webfinger & acct: draft

Paul, all,

Thank you for starting addressing this standardization topic within IETF. Webfinger (and acct:) indeed are being increasingly used and the whole community would benefit from a well-referenced specification for it.

Here are some comments on the draft:

-          At this stage acct: scheme is needed from a formal point of view only I guess, so there may not be the need for a full addr-spec support.

-          I also support the point raised by Mykyta around i18n.  I guess as we are targeting user addressing more than resource addressing in general, and given the rise of Internet & social networks in non-ascii countries it would be important to target a dual URI/IRI scheme (following the path of the mailto rfc6068bis draft)

-          If no other spec is currently using the acct: scheme then it may be kept in the webfinger spec, but some existing specifications may be interested in referencing it as primary/preferred addressing mechanism (independently from webfinger), e.g. Opensocial, activitystrea.ms

-          From a more structural point of view it may be useful to better distinguish the sections related to the scheme from the ones relates to webfinger. Right now 4.1 and 4.2 are very different in purpose and may become 4 and 5. Current section 5 could become a subsection of webfinger (say 5.2)

-          It may also be good to distinguish the behavior on the server side (creating/exposing the descriptor and its content) from the actual discovery behavior from the client.

-          Webfinger further uses specific link "rels", which now are referenced under webfinger.net domain. I guess some of these rels would need to be registered as pure tokens (no URI), e.g. "avatar", "profile-page" and specified in this spec.

-          Reference 8 can now be updated to rfc6415

Cheers
Walter

Telecom Italia
Laurent-Walter Goix
Innovation & Industry Relations, Research & Prototyping, Future Internet
Piazza Einaudi 8 - 20124 Milano (Italy)
Tel. +39 026213445
Mob. +39 3356114196
Fax +39 0641869055

Questo messaggio e i suoi allegati sono indirizzati esclusivamente alle persone indicate. La diffusione, copia o qualsiasi altra azione derivante dalla conoscenza di queste informazioni sono rigorosamente vietate. Qualora abbiate ricevuto questo documento per errore siete cortesemente pregati di darne immediata comunicazione al mittente e di provvedere alla sua distruzione, Grazie.

This e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may contain privileged information intended for the addressee(s) only. Dissemination, copying, printing or use by anybody else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments and advise the sender by return e-mail, Thanks.

[cid:00000000000000000000000000000001@TI.Disclaimer]Rispetta l'ambiente. Non stampare questa mail se non ? necessario.