Re: [apps-discuss] WGLC on draft-ietf-appsawg-xdash-02.txt

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im> Wed, 14 December 2011 23:27 UTC

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 16:27:49 -0700
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
To: SM <sm@resistor.net>
Cc: apps-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] WGLC on draft-ietf-appsawg-xdash-02.txt

> On 12/9/11 11:54 AM, SM wrote:
>> At 09:19 09-12-2011, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
>>> I would like to initiate WGLC on draft-ietf-appsawg-xdash-02.txt. Due
>>> to holiday season the WGLC is going to be a long one and will end on
>>> January 6th. Please send any comments
>>
>> Please consider the comments below as nits.
>>
>> In Section 1:
>>
>>   "Therefore this document deprecates the "X-" convention for most
>>    application protocols and makes specific recommendations about
>>    how to proceed in a world without the distinction between
>>    standard and non-standard parameters."
>>
>> In Section 2, there is a "MUST NOT" for implementers of application
>> protocols.  The "most" (see quoted text) is not taken into
>> consideration.  The authors could get away with a "SHOULD" instead of a
>> "MUST".
>
> Good point. Thanks for the review!

Aha, in looking at how to change the text I realize there might be a
disconnect.

Section 2 states:

   Implementers of application protocols MUST NOT treat the general
   categories of "standard" and "non-standard" parameters in
   programatically different ways within their applications.

The intent of that text is to say that it's not acceptable in your code
to search for the characters "x" and "-" at the beginning of every HTTP
header (or whatever) and take some programatically different action
based on the mere fact that some parameters start with those two
characters whereas others don't. The handling of any given parameter
needs to be based on the semantics of the parameter, not the mere
presence of "x" and "-" at the start of the name.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/