[apps-discuss] Updating the status of SPF

"Murray S. Kucherawy" <msk@cloudmark.com> Mon, 08 August 2011 18:22 UTC

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <msk@cloudmark.com>
To: "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 11:22:47 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: [apps-discuss] Updating the status of SPF

Hi, apps folk.

A participant in another WG has expressed interest in republishing SPF (RFC4408) on the standards track.  This clearly and historically falls into the APPS realm.  The work is probably in need of a WG home, and with YAM leaning toward spinning down, this is the next best place to ask.  I have some doubts it would be accepted as sponsored individual submission nor is it appropriate for the ISE, but I could be wrong.

I doubt this warrants its own working group, but I could be wrong about that too.  So far as I'm aware the only changes needed from that document are the creation of an extensions registry, some minor editorial stuff, and some kind of resolution of the IESG Statement that was added to it to address the collision with Sender ID (RFC4406/7).

I socialized this with a few of you outside of the meeting in Quebec City and there wasn't any resistance to the idea; in fact one person who's typically not a fan of SPF even said it's something we should really do because it's still in widespread use.

Comments?

-MSK