Re: [apps-discuss] possibleTrace fields registry

Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com> Mon, 16 January 2012 16:12 UTC

Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 08:09:26 -0800
From: Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com>
To: Dave CROCKER <dhc@dcrocker.net>
Cc: apps-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] possibleTrace fields registry

> Folks,

> On 1/14/2012 7:55 PM, John R. Levine wrote:
> > It's certainly time for a trace field registry. And I suppose that if we
> > have one, adding new trace fields isn't that big a deal.

> It would help for folks to explain what the specific need for a "trace fields"
> registry is.  I'm not seeing it.

> A registry is for the purpose of coordination.  It allows participants to know
> what exists, either for:

>       a)  discovering to use the information, or

>       b)  discovery to avoid conflicts in assigning new values

> Registries incur a cost, so the associated benefit needs to be quite clear.

>       1.  What coordination purpose will be served by the new registry?

> We already have a registry to fields[1], so the 'trace' registry would be
> redundant with a subset of the that existing registry.  Redundancy is usually bad.

>       2.  Why is redundancy acceptable, here?

I have to agree with John Levine here - why can't this just be an added flag in
the existiing header registry. The cost of that should be *far* lower than a
new registry. In fact after experience with having additional purpose-specific
media type registries (something we should never have allowed), I am *strongly*
opposed to overlapping registries of any sort. (Right now I owe IANA a response
about how in the blazes to address the current multiple registries for media
types.)

				Ned