Re: [apps-discuss] review of draft-ietf-ecrit-lost-sync-12

Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com> Mon, 05 March 2012 22:05 UTC

Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 16:05:35 -0600
From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
To: "\"Martin J. Dürst\"" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Cc: ecrit@ietf.org, "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, hgs+ecrit@cs.columbia.edu, mlinsner@cisco.com
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] review of draft-ietf-ecrit-lost-sync-12

There's an aspect of this document that I want to make sure folks aren't
missing.

The things lostsync1 are adding are not things that something that
speaks lost will every say.

It's not an iteration of the lost vocabulary in that sense.

It is something spoken by things that talk about lost speakers.

This is not an extension of Lost. It is a different protocol that
replicates the data used to
answer Lost queries. It reuses the format that Lost uses when talking
about that data.

Does that make a difference in whether a new namespace is appropriate?

(No is an OK answer - I don't have a strong opinion, but my instinct
says that the separate
namespace is likely to introduce fewer problems because of a bad
assumption an implementer
could make if the values were in the same namespace).

RjS