Re: [apps-discuss] Getting 3023bis, a.k.a. draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes, moving

ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) Wed, 01 May 2013 10:13 UTC

To: "Rushforth\, Peter" <Peter.Rushforth@NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca>
From: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson)
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 11:13:16 +0100
Cc: "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Getting 3023bis, a.k.a. draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes, moving

Rushforth, Peter writes:

> Section 8.
>
> Suggest to remove the recommendation to register media types with +xml
> suffix.  Suggest to add recommendation for a 'profile' parameter for application/xml,
> as is being done for atom : http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wilde-atom-profile-01

I have to say I'm not inclined to go that way.  There is a _very_
large installed base, particularly of application/xhtml+xml and
application/rdf+xml.  There are around 100 registered
application/xxx+xml media types registered _outside_ the
vnd... sub-space, and another 200 or so there.  We recently spent a
lot of time getting both the general approach to registering
structured suffixes and their uses [1] and using that approach to
clean up / document existing practices [2], including the +xml case.

Introducing an alternative profile-based approach at this point would
just confuse things, IMO.

> Suggest to remove reference to Appendix A.  Remove Appendix A,
> also. All of that stuff is not the business of this RFC, but is the
> responsibility of the registration procedure, in my opinion.

What do people think?  Appendix A [3] is "Why Use the '+xml' Suffix
for XML-Based MIME Types?" and is carried over nearly unchanged from
RFC3023 [4].  Maybe it was needed 12 years ago but is no longer
relevant/necessary/useful?

> Suggest to remove discussion of hypertext linking.  XML does not
> include hypermedia affordances, so there is a disconnect between
> what can be expected in application/xml vs. what is discussed in
> this RFC.  If an XML vocabulary contains XLinks, let that vocabulary
> register its own media type.  Also, relative to the discussion of
> XLinks in that section, the web is not limited to XML documents
> (heck they hardly even exist on the web), so perhaps XLink itself
> needs an update to allow linking to non-XML representations.

This comment regards a list in section 8 "A Naming Convention for
XML-Based Media Types" [5] which is introduced as follows:

  Some areas where 'generic' processing is useful include:

and has among 7 bullet points the following:

  * Browsing - An XML browser can display any XML document with a
    provided [CSS] or [XSLT] style sheet, whatever the vocabulary of
    that document.

  * Hypertext linking - [XLink] hypertext linking is designed to
    connect any XML documents, regardless of vocabulary.

It seems to me these statements are both true, but the second is
indeed weaker, because there are no generic XLink tools as far as I'm
aware, and indeed it's not clear what they would be.  I'm inclined to
replace this with reference to a _different_ link-related standard,
namely XInclude, for which generic support _does_ exist.  Something
along the line of

   * Transclusion - [XInclude] is designed to support transclusion of
     XML or text into arbitrary XML documents, regardless of
     vocabulary.

Thanks for your input,

ht

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6838