Re: [apps-discuss] draft-ietf-weirds-bootstrap-00 and our lawn -- feedback?

Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> Wed, 12 February 2014 04:43 UTC

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:43:25 +1100
To: Andrew Newton <andy@hxr.us>
Cc: IETF Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] draft-ietf-weirds-bootstrap-00 and our lawn -- feedback?

On 12 Feb 2014, at 3:59 am, Andrew Newton <andy@hxr.us> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Thank you for looking into this and for being proactive.
>
> With regard to your idea to use templates in the registry, it seems to
> me the current specification is already doing an implicit template of
> the sort http://example.com/blah/{rest-of-weirds-uri}. As one of the
> participants of the WEIRDS effort, I think your idea is worth
> consideration. While the group has looked at templates but not found
> favor with them, I believe what you are suggesting does not have the
> issue to which the group objected to previously.

OK. To be clear, it was just a suggestion -- there are a lot of ways to do this, but templates seemed like a way to get there without inventing too much yourself (which seems to be the point, since you're already reusing HTTP :).

> As for baked URIs, there was a suggestion to use .well-known with
> which the WEIRDS group is struggling (very interrelated to
> bootstrapping). Would you still suggest the use of .well-known with a
> registry? Is the use of .well-known not just to avoid collisions but
> to also allow applications to identify URIs by application type
> without the need for creating a new URI scheme?

It really depends on the use case, which I don't feel like I yet have enough grasp of. I don't want to position .well-known as a panacea, because it's not -- it's for very specific circumstances (basically, when you need to bootstrap from a hostname, not a URI).

Cheers,