Re: [apps-discuss] Revised DMARC working group charter proposal

Scott Kitterman <scott@kitterman.com> Tue, 16 April 2013 01:35 UTC

From: Scott Kitterman <scott@kitterman.com>
To: apps-discuss@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 21:35:37 -0400
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Revised DMARC working group charter proposal

On Monday, April 15, 2013 05:15:32 PM Dave Crocker wrote:
> Scott,
>
> At the risk of this going too far afield from a chartering discussion --
> it might be worth moving this thread to dmarc@ietf.org:
>
> On 4/15/2013 1:02 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > On Saturday, April 13, 2013 04:37:47 AM Dave Crocker wrote:
> >> The specification has been public for considerably more than a
> >> year, including a press release and a public discussion list, with
> >> adoption covering roughly 60% of the world's mailboxes.  That's not
> >> a small base of experience.  So there's been plenty of opportunity
> >> for community review and input, including requests for changes.
> >> And yet, there is so far no such list of requests.
> >
> > Not true.  There was a long thread, almost a year ago on the
> > interaction of DMARC policy with policy aspects of other domain
> > authentication technologies (SPF and DKIM/ADSP) that starts here:
> >
> > http://www.dmarc.org/pipermail/dmarc-discuss/2012-July/001104.html
>
> I apologize for being unclear.  I didn't mean that no individuals had
> any requests.  I meant that there has been no demonstration of community
> support -- a rough consensus kind of support -- for changes.
>
> To my own reading, the thread you cite nicely demonstrates this:
> community interest, community discussion, but no community support for
> change.  If you feel otherwise, please document it.
>
> > While some of the issues addressed in that thread have been addressed
> > (the most critical one that DMARC policy of none should not alter
> > processing for SPF or DKIM/ADSP in particular), I don't think the
> > issue is fully resolved.
>
> I don't see that thread as having created items to be resolved.  Again,
> feel free to document otherwise.
>
> And given considerably more of one year for that public discussion, we
> haven't identified any items that might show community support for
> modifying the base specification.
>
> > Here's the current, relevant snippet from the draft submitted to the
> >
> > IETF:
> >> DMARC-compliant Mail Receivers SHOULD disregard any mail directive
> >> discovered as part of an authentication mechanism (e.g., ADSP,
> >> SPF) where a DMARC policy is also discovered that specifies a
> >> policy other than "none". {R7} To enable Domain Owners to receive
> >> DMARC feedback without impacting existing mail processing,
> >> discovered policies of "p=none" SHOULD NOT modify existing mail
> >> disposition processing. Note that some Mail Receivers may reject
> >> email based upon SPF policy mechanisms before email enters
> >> DMARC-specific processing.
> >
> > I think the initial SHOULD represents a layering violation that is
> > technically inappropriate from a design perspective, will
> > substantially complicate implementation, and is not needed.  Details
> > to follow.
>
> FWIW, with respect to policy mechanisms, I think this is less a matter
> of "layering" than of "replacement". DMARC is asserting authority over
> the topic of policy, to the extent is has /overlap/ (rather than
> [...]

I'll let Stephen speak for his own opinion on the chartering constraint issue.
In my opinion, there's a reasonable way to write a charter that allows
meaningful discussion and consideration of the current design, but that
provides appropriate constraint on trivial changes.

As for the current issue I have with the design, I haven't particularly
attempted to gather a constituency for it.  It was my impression from when we
discussed it almost a year ago there would be an eventual IETF working group
to work through this and any other issues people found.

I think that if a draft is submitted as a candidate working group work item
and the sponsors don't like the result of the chartering discussion and that
draft is suddenly an independent submission, that's pretty well, by definition,
an end around the working group process.

2119 SHOULD words about how to change SPF and DKIM/ADSP processing are
certainly modifying the intent of IETF RFCs.  Once again, it's pretty
obviously the case and the only reason to avoid accepting it is to have a safe
dodge of the ISE path to avoid an IETF working group and some need to get
consensus outside of the private design group.

I keep hearing the IETF is about getting technology right and not about votes
or who people work for.  The current design is wrong and in a way that it
doesn't need to be wrong because all domains that don't want mail rejected on
the basis of SPF or DKIM/ADSP need to do is publish policy records that say
that.  DMARC trying to replace that existing functionality is utterly
unnecessary.

Scott K