[apps-discuss] Last Call summary on draft-yevstifeyev-tn3270-uri

Mykyta Yevstifeyev <evnikita2@gmail.com> Wed, 26 January 2011 10:18 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:22:12 +0200
From: Mykyta Yevstifeyev <evnikita2@gmail.com>
To: IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>, iesg <iesg@ietf.org>, "uri-review@ietf.org" <uri-review@ietf.org>
Cc: URI <uri@w3.org>, "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: [apps-discuss] Last Call summary on draft-yevstifeyev-tn3270-uri

Hello all,

This message summarizes the Last Call on draft-yevstifeyev-tn3270-uri
(http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-yevstifeyev-tn3270-uri-13.txt).

Firstly, some statistical information.  The Last Call was requested by
Peter Saint-Andre on 4 January, 2011 and was announced on 4 January,
2011.  The Last Call ends on 1 February, 2011.  The LC announcement has
been sent out to IETF Discussion, uri-review and URI@w3c.org mailing
lists.  A number of comments have been received during the Last Call.
The most current version - 13 - I have just uploaded is believed to
resolve them.  Moreover, a number of improvements have been made to
improve the document quality.

Secondly, here is the exhaustive list of differences between the 12
version and 13 version.

/Intended status/ - did not change: Informational;

/Title/ - changed.  Was *The 'tn3270' Uniform Resource Identifier
Scheme* and now is *The 'tn3270' Uniform Resource Identifier (URI)
Scheme*.  I'm asking Peter to change the write0up in accordance to this.

/Abstract/ - did not change;

/Introduction/ - changed.  Added the RFC 2119 boilerplate (now used
throughout the document); added the reference to IANA registry;
clarified the purpose of the document; some other minor changes.

/Scheme definition/ - changed.  Splitted the designated service into
Telnet 3270 and Telnet 3270 Enchanted, added the reference to IBM
Publication GA23-0059, related to 3270 data stream; added the reference
to RFC 3049, related to TN3270E; clarified the URI syntax, as follows.  Was:
> The 'tn3270' URI takes the following form (given in ABNF, as
>     described inRFC 5234  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5234>  [RFC5234  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5234>]):
>
>     tn3270uri = "tn3270:" "//" authority ["/"]
>
>     The 'authority' rule is defined inRFC 3986  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986>  [RFC3986  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986>]. The final
>     character "/" can be omitted.

Now:

>    The 'tn3270' URI takes the following form (given in ABNF, as
>     described inRFC 5234  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5234>  [RFC5234  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5234>]):
>
>     tn3270uri = "tn3270:" hier-part
>     hier-part = "//" authority ["/"]
>                 ;the URI takes the form
>                 ;that is formally defined via the 'authority'
>
>     The 'authority' rule is specified inRFC 3986  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986>  [RFC3986  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986>].  If 'port'
>     (in the 'authority' part) is omitted, it SHALL default to 21.  The
>     final character "/" MAY be omitted.

/Security Considerations/ - changed.  Clarified why there are no other
security considerations for 'tn3270' scheme other than the 'telnet' one has.

/IANA Considerations/ - changed.  added the reference to RFC 4395;
changed the description of protocol, that uses the scheme in accordance
with Section 2; changed the Contact and author to IESG and IETF,
respectively.

/References/ - RFC 4395 is now Informative; added the references to RFC
3049, IANA registry and IBM Publication GA23-0059.

/Acknowledgments/ - corrected the typographical mistake in the last name
of Alfred Hoenes.

/Author's addresses/ - changed, clarified the address.

Lastly, during the LC the document was reviewed by IANA, GenART and
OPS-DIR Review Team.  I'm citing their reviews.

IANA:
> IANA understands that, upon approval of this document, there is a single
> Action that IANA needs to complete.
>
> In the URI schemes registry located at:
>
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes.html
>
> in the Provisional URI Schemes section, the follow registration will be
> added:
>
> URI Scheme: tn3270
> Reference: [RFC-to-be]
>
> IANA understands that this is the only action required upon approval of
> this document.

GenART:

> I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
> Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
> <http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.
>
> Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
> you may receive.
>
> Document: draft-yevstifeyev-tn3270-uri-12
> Reviewer: Vijay K. Gurbani
> Review Date: Jan-14-2011
> IETF LC End Date: Feb-02-2011
> IESG Telechat date: Unknown

> Major issues: 0
> Minor issues: 0
> Nits/editorial comments: 0
>
> Thanks,
>
> - vijay
> --
> Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
> 1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60566 (USA)
> Email: vkg@{bell-labs.com,acm.org} / vijay.gurbani@alcatel-lucent.com
> Web: http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/

OPS-DIR: