Re: [apps-discuss] I-D Action: draft-ietf-appsawg-file-scheme-09.txt

Sean Leonard <dev+ietf@seantek.com> Sun, 15 May 2016 10:16 UTC

To: apps-discuss@ietf.org
From: Sean Leonard <dev+ietf@seantek.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 03:15:52 -0700
Cc: draft-ietf-appsawg-file-scheme@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] I-D Action: draft-ietf-appsawg-file-scheme-09.txt

On 5/14/2016 10:15 PM, internet-drafts@ietf.org wrote:
> This draft is a work item of the ART Area General Applications Working Group of the IETF.
>
>          Title           : The file URI Scheme
>          Author          : Matthew Kerwin
> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-appsawg-file-scheme-09.txt
> 	Pages           : 18
> 	Date            : 2016-05-14

Did a full review; looks very good. Nice work!

The References section lists several references to MSDN articles.

Shorter MSDN article URLs are of the form:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/{ARTICLEID}

Such as:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/gg465305
https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/aa365247

I suggest simplifying the links, and updating the dates. Note that some
library articles have dates; others do not. For example, [MS-DTYP] is
most recently dated October 16, 2015, revision 30.0, according to its
changelog at article ID cc230273.

In Appendix C, a discussion of Win32 Namespaces is given, but then it
says "This specification does not define a mechanism for translating
namespaced paths to or from file URIs." Readers would appreciate an
informative reference for a mechanism to translate namespaced paths to
and from file URIs, especially since there is a lot of technical content
about Win32 processing in the rest of the Appendices.

I believe that the (American) English capitalization of Appendix D
should be:
Appendix D. System-Specific Operations

Just curious: what happens if you try to access
file://USERNAME@HOST/foo/bar.txt on a Windows UNC/network share, using a
Windows machine and suitable API operations (e.g., Internet Explorer)?
Will Windows try to access the network path with the given username, or
something else? And does USER:PASS work?

I would be remiss if the term "alternate data streams" (ADS) were not
mentioned in the context of Windows naming conventions. E.g.:
file:///G:/somebody.txt:other.txt

The syntax is already supported by the normative Syntax section, and is
acknowledged without being named in the Security Considerations section.
Therefore, no additional text is needed (but others may find it
desirable--I leave that decision to this WG). At least it's now a part
of the discussion record on this mailing list.

I just did a cursory check of some browsers on a Windows 7 machine.
Ironically, Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer claim that they
cannot find the ADS path, but Firefox and Chrome/Chromium-based browsers
will load the ADS path all right. (I did not test what happens with
relative references in, e.g., ./foo.txt:composite.html.)

Not sure if other file: URI processors handle such things, e.g.,
extended attributes / getxattr in Linux.

Sean