Re: [apps-discuss] Possible IESG statement on IESG processing of MIME type registrations from other SDOs

"Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> Wed, 09 March 2011 07:43 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 16:44:22 +0900
From: "\"Martin J. Dürst\"" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Cc: apps-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Possible IESG statement on IESG processing of MIME type registrations from other SDOs

Hello Peter,

On 2011/03/09 12:59, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On 3/8/11 6:34 PM, Ted Hardie wrote:

>> I'm not sure I agree that it turns into a formal standards process,
>> but I definitely agree that it's going to be very hard for outsiders
>> to find this statement and do the right thing, absent additional clue.
>
> Currently folks working within other SDOs ping one or both of the
> Applications Area Directors, who usually say "we know it's not
> mandatory, but it would be helpful if you could write a brief
> Internet-Draft defining your registration request". So outsiders don't
> need to find this statement and do the right thing from the start, and I
> don't think the Apps ADs (or IESG in general) expect that they would.

[Assuming the above also applies to W3C] I'm no longer working for W3C,
but if I still did, and in particular if I still was in charge of
coordinating these registration requests, I'd very clearly and
explicitly not be happy with this. In my view, one of the main points of
RFC 4288 was exactly to get away from the need to have things in two
places, and to get away from the need for people who never before and
never after wrote Internet Drafts to get familiar with all the details.

If we think RFC 4288 has failed, we should fix it. (I for my part don't
think it has failed, at least not in this respect.)

Also, while the above solves the "find the Statement" problem, it won't
avoid the problem that outsiders get told different things at different
stages: First, they get told to follow RFC 4288 (or they might even find
it themselves), then once they are through review on ietf-types, they
get told something else.

And the above "it would be helpful" still doesn't answer the question
why. The assumption from non-IESG people including me is that the main
or only reason is because the datatracker can only handle IDs. It would
be helpful (sic) if you and Alex could be clear and frank about this.

Regards,   Martin.