Re: [apps-discuss] For consideration as an appsawg document: draft-hoffman-server-has-tls-03.txt

Patrik Fältström <patrik@frobbit.se> Wed, 26 January 2011 07:09 UTC

From: Patrik Fältström <patrik@frobbit.se>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:11:21 +0100
To: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
Cc: apps-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] For consideration as an appsawg document: draft-hoffman-server-has-tls-03.txt

I have had a look at this, and have three questions:

1. Have I understood it correct if the client by using this RR can refuse to fall back to insecure connection for "communication using HTTP"? I.e. it seems the RR is specifying whether fallback is possible to not only per port, which works when you have "STARTTLS" or similar, but not when fallback is between ports?

2. If so, the "input" to the query should in that case be not only the hostname, but the protocol and hostname, right? So one could use a prefix-based mechanism like _http._tcp.example.com. IN HASTLS 0 443 0

3. I am always a bit nervous over RDATA that has variable length. Do you have an implementation of this so that you have tried to ensure "it works"?

Otherwise, as someone said, overall negotiation I think is interesting.

   Patrik