Re: [apps-discuss] Encouraging third party registrations

Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org> Tue, 15 November 2011 08:32 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 08:20:22 +0000
From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
To: "\"Martin J. Dürst\"" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Cc: Roy Fielding <fielding@adobe.com>, Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com>, "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Encouraging third party registrations

On 15/11/2011 01:43, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:

>>> I think third-party registration is indeed something we should encourage
>>> more.
>>
>> How do you propose we do that?
>
> It seems that currently, people don't even know that it is possible. So the
> first step is to make this more known. On another list, you write: "We have
> always allowed registrations by any interested party." That's apparently true,
> but is it done because nowhere in RFC 4288 it says it's not possible? Then
> making it explicit in draft-freed-media-type-regs should help.

+1

I think a wiki-FAQ linked from each registry page could go a long way to help.

[[
Make registration procedures / contacts / requirements / guidelines available in
a user-friendly format (NOT just an RFC) linked from the registry page. E.g.,
give each registry some wiki space linked from its registry page.
]]
-- http://www.w3.org/wiki/FriendlyRegistries#Clear_Process

If we want a simple enhancement to smooth the path of registration, I think this
is something we could do now which could have a significant effect, without
updating any RFCs, etc.  As reviewer for URIs and Header fields, I'd be happy to
put up some initial content for those.  Maybe a common list of FAQs to get this
started; e.g.

q. Who can register a <foo>?

q. What are the requirements for registering a <foo>?

q. Where should I send my request to register <foo>?

q. What happens next?

q. Who should I contact if I'm not happy with a response to my request?

q. Who has the final say about any registration request?

q. What do I do if I think there is an error in a registration?

q. How do I update a registration?

q. [How] can I add a comment to a registration?

(I've added this suggestion to
http://www.w3.org/wiki/FriendlyRegistries#Clear_Process)

#g