Re: [apps-discuss] HTTP authentication: the next generation

Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> Fri, 10 December 2010 23:04 UTC

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:06:00 +1100
To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Cc: "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, websec@ietf.org, "kitten@ietf.org" <kitten@ietf.org>, http-auth@ietf.org, saag@ietf.org, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] HTTP authentication: the next generation

There was a very well-attended and wide-ranging bar BoF in Vancouver, and lots of background discussion (/noise).

My impression at that point was that the use cases that people wanted to put into scope were so diverse, and the requirements so exacting, that it was a non-starter.

That may still be the case, and I think that without a concrete target, starting the discussion again will ultimately just waste a lot of engineer hours*.

Having said that -- since we now have OAuth shaving off some of those use cases, it may be that a purely browsing-focused authentication mechanism might be able to get traction, provided we can get browser vendors on board (naturally). I'd expect them to instigate this, however.

Cheers,

* Waste, of course, is subjective. A cynical person would think that the opportunity cost of having a bunch of standards people working on something non-productive could, in the end, be a useful diversion. However, I'm not that person, because I'm not thinking it, I'm saying it. But I digress.