Re: [apps-discuss] WGLC on draft-ietf-appsawg-xdash-02.txt

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im> Fri, 27 January 2012 18:34 UTC

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 11:34:34 -0700
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
To: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
Cc: "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] WGLC on draft-ietf-appsawg-xdash-02.txt

On 1/27/12 11:13 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> After discussing this a bit more with Pete Resnick off-line, we found
> a place where I missed a major assumption: this draft is only about
> parameter names, not numbers. Pete believes that this changes things
> hugely, but I am less sure. Regardless, we agreed it needs to be
> clarified.

That's been implicit in the document, but I agree that we need to make
it explicit.

> Proposed text to be added after the second paragraph of Section 1:
>
> Note that this document only discusses parameters with text names; it
> does not discuss parameters that are expressed with numbers. The
> difference between these two is that text names of parameters (for
> example, "hash-type" and "x-hash-type") tend to appear in
> administrative and user interfaces much more often than numbers that
> identify parameters (for example, 7 or 0xa007). The misuse of
> parameters with text names and with numbers are similar; developers
> will try to get experimental parameters standardized without changing
> the parameter value, developers mis-use unassigned values without
> going through the defined registration procedure, and so on. However,
> the more likely exposure to administrators and users limits the focus
> of this document only to named parameters.

Proposed text is always appreciated. :)

It's not clear to me what function the third sentence serves; we don't
talk elsewhere about the misuse of parameters. With some editing, I suggest:

Because textual names of parameters (e.g., "hash-type" and
"x-hash-type") tend to appear in administrative and user interfaces much
more often than numbers that identify parameters (e.g., 7 or 0xa007),
this document discusses only parameters with textual names, not
parameters that are expressed with numbers.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/