Re: [apps-discuss] Media type for lists of changed URIs?

Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org> Thu, 09 January 2014 15:12 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 15:12:05 +0000
From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
To: Jan Algermissen <jan.algermissen@nordsc.com>
Cc: "apps-discuss@ietf.org Discuss" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Media type for lists of changed URIs?

On 09/01/2014 14:39, Jan Algermissen wrote:

> On 09.01.2014, at 15:29, Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org> wrote:

>>> Wow - basically what I am up to. How did I manage to miss it.
>>>
>>> Only thing that's missing, AFAICS, and which  I'll eventually need is the put/patch payload in the change list because in my scenario the number of updates and frequency is too high to justify individual GETs to sync.
>>>
>>> Will take a deeper look anyhow.
>>
>> There are provisions for payload and patch-style operations through resource/change dumps and related-resource links respectively.
>
> Ok, must have missed that at first glance. Either way, pretty exciting you ended up alost exactly where I did.
>
> I have a question regarding a real practical problem from the eCommerce domain:
>
> When eShops send product information to price comparison search engines there is the inherent problem of latency between price updates in the eShop and the re-publishing+ingestion to the shopping engine. If customers find higher prices in the shop, than on the site of the shopping engine, legal fees apply in some countries[1].
>
> Have you ever thought of (or know about plans to) having the major shopping engines adopt resource sync to mitigate that problem? Would lead to a relief of quite some headaches of quite some people I must say.
>
> Given there is sitemap in the mix, I thought Google might have a hand in it somehow.

There are not, to my knowledge, any explicit e-commerce involvements, or plans
for such, but that's not a deliberate exclusion.  Also, no direct involvement
with Google AFAIK, but the ResourceSync group did have some discussions with
some Sitemap people about ensuring consistency of the extensions introduced.
(Sitemap isn't *only* a Google thing:  cf. http://www.sitemaps.org.)

But the design has attempted to be applicable to web resources in the broadest
sense.

Specifically, on the issue of synchronization, the design is intended to allow
the Destination of a ResourceSync change list to be able to determine if it has
the latest published update.  Some considerable discussion was given to timing
issues and having confidence that updates could not go silently missing.  But,
of course, the implementations would be ultimately responsible for ensuring
changes are pushed out and used consistently.  (E.g. of the Source chooses to
delay publication of an update, then there's no way for the Destination to know
about it.)

#g