[apps-discuss] R: FW: Liason statement from OMA CD WG to IETF-Mobile Social Networking

Goix Laurent Walter <laurentwalter.goix@telecomitalia.it> Mon, 19 December 2011 10:28 UTC

From: Goix Laurent Walter <laurentwalter.goix@telecomitalia.it>
To: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>, "ext Murray S. Kucherawy" <msk@cloudmark.com>, "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 11:28:44 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: [apps-discuss] R: FW: Liason statement from OMA CD WG to IETF-Mobile Social Networking

Hello all,

I'm glad to see that this triggered a first debate quickly.

>From OMA perspective an end-to-end approach is being considered that intends to reference/profile external specs as much as possible whenever it make sense and covers the requirements. The idea is to limit isolation and reuse "popular" specs when applicable, also liaising to discuss possible extensions that are not necessarily mobile-specific but that could potentially benefit the whole spec.
The OMA spec is also defining some specific behaviors, which are internal to the mobile device, and which does not impact apis/protocols.

That said, wrt IETF, the "mobile" aspect is not the focus as Hannes anticipated. Several IETF specs are mentioned indeed as background information only. At this stage the appsawg seems to be the "best" group within IETF to address some "application-level" SN data formats and protocols. I agree that in the large, "Social Networking" covers many protocol layers and features, but this liaison is indeed targeted to get feedback from this specific group only at first, but of course could be extended upon evident interest.

Wrt Paul's early answers on his draft (although not (yet?) a group's draft), there is truly some intention to map phone numbers to acct: IRI/URIs. I would be available for working at a separate draft as well.

Walter