Re: [apps-discuss] For consideration as an appsawg document: draft-nottingham-http-portal

Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> Wed, 26 January 2011 02:48 UTC

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 13:51:27 +1100
To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, apps-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] For consideration as an appsawg document: draft-nottingham-http-portal

I wouldn't be averse to this.

However, some implementation experience is necessary. In particular, I'd like to run an experiment where the status code is deployed on a captive portal in a large network, to see if it affects current implementations.

The IETF meeting network seems like an ideal place to do so, and I've pinged ietf-management@ietf.org (last August) about doing so, but haven't had any response.

It also needs adoption by people who use captive portals. To that end, I've had some positive interactions with the Wireless Broadband Alliance <http://wballiance.net/> about the draft, but that discussion tailed off without any conclusive action. I've also had some (brief) discussions with a few Squid developers (Squid is often used to interpose captive portals), and there was interest in supporting the draft, but this also needs following up.

Cheers,