Re: [apps-discuss] IETF technical plenary: the end of application protocols

Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org> Tue, 22 March 2011 07:57 UTC

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 07:49:22 +0000
From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
To: Pete Resnick <presnick@qualcomm.com>
Cc: dcrocker@bbiw.net, Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] IETF technical plenary: the end of application protocols

Pete,

Notwithstanding my earlier comments in support of Web/HTTP for some
applications, I have some sympathy for the sentiments you express here.   It
does sometimes feel to me that there a technology "capture" taking place by some
of the big web players (cf. HTML5), and also there's the whole net neutrality
debate seems to be heating up (again?).

But at heart the web *should* be about decentralization, breaking the
dependencies on single servers and services, enabling developers to develop
innovative new applications based on web data.  The web architecture principles
build on the end-to-end Internet philosophy, and explicitly try to avoid adding
new control points.  I would say that "big players ... pushing as much as they
can into servers so that they can control both the data and the user experience"
is something the web makes possible in some cases by virtue of its lack of
central coordination.

There are many developers in the web community who are creating innovative
applications that fit in and around the offerings of the big players.  For just
one example that happens to spring to mind, see
http://weblog.clarkparsia.com/2010/05/26/another-reason-semantic-web-kicks-ass/.

The Web is harmed as much by the lack of end-to-end connectivity as any other
application.  And, yes, I think that HyBi has degenerated into a rather
unproductive bun-fight, possibly by trying to do too much rather than figuring a
minimum set of requirements that could unlock a range of new capabilities
*within* the established web framework.  And yes, the Web isn't right for every
application (email being a case in point).  But I claim that there are very many
applications that *can* sit comfortably within the web framework if the design
is approached in a conforming way.  (And that a lot of design choices in
application design may be quite arbitrary, and constraining some of those
choices doesn't greatly limit the range of useful applications that can be created.)

So, while I agree with your exhortation to restore end-to-end connectivity to
the Internet, I don't think that the Web itself is truly the great bete noir in
this (other than, by virtue of its widespread use, exacerbating and accelerating
the depletion of endpoint addresses).

Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater!

#g
--

FWIW, I can think of two simple (to describe) capabilities that would help to
make the web more widely usable as a application platform:

(a) a *simple* mechanism for pushing asynchronous notifications to a web
application (browser-based or otherwise).  I had early hopes for HyBi, but have
somewhat given up.

(b) a well-founded security model to permit controlled relaxation of the
same-origin restrictions on web applications in browsers.  Many of the current
proposals I'm aware of seem to lack a coherent security analysis (though, when I
last looked, HTML5 may be an exception in this regard).  I think this could make
it easier to separate data storage from applications, opening the way to give
users back control of their data.