Re: [apps-discuss] AppsDir review of draft-ietf-roll-terminology-12.txt

"Adrian Farrel" <adrian@olddog.co.uk> Sat, 30 March 2013 10:15 UTC

From: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
To: 'Carsten Bormann' <cabo@tzi.org>, 'IETF Apps Discuss' <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-roll-terminology.all@tools.ietf.org
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 10:15:16 -0000
Cc: roll@ietf.org, 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] AppsDir review of draft-ietf-roll-terminology-12.txt

Hi all,

I think I see three things in Carsten's review.

1. Separation of glossary from new terms

I can see why this might be valuable, but I am not sure it is critical rather
than stylistic. That is, there are two types of term used in the ROLL work:
- terms that have a meaning specific to ROLL (terminology)
- terms that have a meaning in ROLL that is identical to their common meaning
(glossary)
In both cases, the words have a meaning in ROLL that needs to be documented.

2. Use of "more definitive" language for the explanation of new terms

I believe this may be a linguistic issue (or even cultural :-).
I, of course, reviewed the document and had no issue with "X is used to
describe..." To me, that is equivalent to "In the context of ROLL, X is...", or
the more simple "X is..." It is, perhaps, more chatty language than some would
use, but I think the meaning is clear: when you see "X" in a ROLL document you
know it means the totality of the paragraph.

Now, in the case that Carsten quotes for MP2P, I don't think the issue should be
with "used to describe" but with a transposition of "e.g." for "i.e.". Thus,
this is a specific problem with one paragraph, rather than with the general
text. And the author can sort this out.

3. Further trawling of related documents for terms that should be included

Thanks to Carsten for suggesting U-LLN as a term for inclusion. AFAICS, RFC 5548
is the only document using this term, and presents it as a documentation
abbreviation within the RFC rather than a generic term. So I don't think it
needs to be included.

As for "What about the other terms defined in RFCs 5548, 5673, 5826, 5867, 6206,
6550, 6551, 6552, 6719?" I think we can assume that the author checked those
documents and made a decision about which terms should be included and which
excluded. Also that the WG is well aware of the existence of those documents. So
rather than an open-ended "Please do more work" it would be helpful to identify
which terms are believed to be missing and in need of inclusion.

Thanks,
Adrian