[apps-discuss] SPECIAL-USE (RFC 6154) in Sieve (RFC 5228): draft-bosch-sieve-special-use-00.txt

Stephan Bosch <stephan.bosch@dovecot.fi> Mon, 04 April 2016 20:23 UTC

From: Stephan Bosch <stephan.bosch@dovecot.fi>
To: IETF Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 22:22:36 +0200
Subject: [apps-discuss] SPECIAL-USE (RFC 6154) in Sieve (RFC 5228): draft-bosch-sieve-special-use-00.txt

Hi,

Currently, the Sieve language (RFC 5228) lacks the means of freely accessing the IMAP special-use mailbox attributes (RFC 6154). For example, it would be nice to be able to determine what the Junk mailbox is during Sieve processing at delivery, based on which mailbox has the "\Junk" special-use attribute assigned.

I created a draft specification that adds this functionality. I posted this before on the IETF Sieve mailing list (affiliation updated). A few people expressed their interest there already. I was told that the apps-discuss mailing list is still the best venue for putting this document forward. Now that the draft submission is reopened, I have submitted it. The announcement of the submission is attached.

Please tell me what you think.

Regards,

Stephan.

--- Begin Message ---
A new version of I-D, draft-bosch-sieve-special-use-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Stephan Bosch and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-bosch-sieve-special-use
Revision:	00
Title:		Sieve Email Filtering: Delivering to Special-Use Mailboxes
Document date:	2016-04-04
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		8
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bosch-sieve-special-use-00

Abstract:
   The SPECIAL-USE capability of the IMAP protocol (RFC 6154) allows
   clients to identify special-use mailboxes; e.g., where draft or sent
   messages should be put.  This simplifies client configuration.  In
   contrast, the Sieve mail filtering language (RFC 5228) currently has
   no such capability.  This memo defines a Sieve extension that fills
   this gap: it adds a test for checking whether a special-use attribute
   is assigned for a particular mailbox or any mailbox, and it adds the
   ability to file messages into an anonymous mailbox that has a
   particular special-use attribute assigned.

The IETF Secretariat

--- End Message ---