Re: [apps-discuss] Reserved URI query parameter in draft-ietf-oauth-v2-bearer

Eran Hammer <eran@hueniverse.com> Thu, 12 April 2012 12:56 UTC

From: Eran Hammer <eran@hueniverse.com>
To: Pete Resnick <presnick@qualcomm.com>, Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-oauth-v2-bearer.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-oauth-v2-bearer.all@tools.ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 12:56:19 +0000
x-originating-ip: [71.172.63.38]
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Reserved URI query parameter in draft-ietf-oauth-v2-bearer

The issue is pretty simple. The OAuth bearer token specification defines an HTTP Authorization header scheme. It also provides a "hack" for sending the same authentication credentials direction in the HTTP request URI. For example:

http://example.com/protected/resource?access_token=alskjdlaskjd

This in practice claims the 'access_token' URI query parameter as a reseved parameter name used by the bearer token specification. The reason is that any future (or existing) implementation using this parameter name will now be in conflict with the OAuth bearer token specification. We do not have a mechanism for reserving URI query parameters - but in practice, this updates RFC 3986 by taking ownership of the query parameter name.

There were other voices on the OAuth WG to simply drop this mechanism but resistance from the authors and lack of strong consensus kept it in.

I supported Mark's recommendation of dropping that mechanism.

Hope this is helpful.

EH