Re: [apps-discuss] Getting 3023bis, a.k.a. draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes, moving

"Rushforth, Peter" <Peter.Rushforth@NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca> Thu, 23 May 2013 12:23 UTC

From: "Rushforth, Peter" <Peter.Rushforth@NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca>
To: Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 12:23:37 +0000
x-originating-ip: [132.156.238.22]
Cc: "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Getting 3023bis, a.k.a. draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes, moving

Ned,

Leaving registration considerations aside for a moment, if I want to
create a media type which is more specific than application/xml
for my application, is it better to use

application/xml;profile="urn:my.app"
or
application/vnd.my.app+xml ?

Because this library https://code.google.com/p/mimeparse/, available in
8 programming languages, supports parsing the former as XML, but not the
latter.  I haven't really looked at other libraries, but I think I may
have landed on that one because the implementation of MIME in java did
not manage negotiation concerns (I don't remember).

Also, browsers (that I have used anyway) will parse the former as XML,
but not the latter.  Same for html, which is potentially quite useful, IMHO.

Are there libraries available which support parsing application/vnd.my.app+xml
as XML?  I don't think there's anything wrong with this notation, since it does
identify the media type semantics, but it doesn't give me fallback behaviour
at least in any running code I've seen.

Thanks
Peter Rushforth