Re: [apps-discuss] Revised DMARC working group charter proposal

Dave Crocker <dhc@dcrocker.net> Thu, 18 April 2013 21:03 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 14:03:37 -0700
From: Dave Crocker <dhc@dcrocker.net>
To: Scott Kitterman <scott@kitterman.com>
Cc: apps-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Revised DMARC working group charter proposal

On 4/18/2013 1:50 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> If I'm not mistaken, I think that the proposed charter makes provision
>> >for exactly that happening. If enough data points are gathered through
>> >the work of the group, it can decide to re-charter and crack open the
>> >spec itself. We'll just want to be sure that it's a data-driven decision
>> >rather than something more theoretical.
>> >
>> >Does that hit close to what you're looking to achieve?
> No.  The latest draft excludes such work from consideration without
> rechartering.  It pretty much the opposite of what I was looking to achieve.
>
> Unless working on the base draft is part of the work of the working group, it
> won't happen.

Scott,

We've done multiple queries to the community, for a listing of work to
be done.  There's currently no community desire to work on the base
specification.

While you've made your own desire clear, there is no evidence of
community support for the change you want.

It makes no sense to charter a working group to change a specification,
when there is no community desire to change it.  Indeed, the IETF does
not typically charter a group to do work when there is no support for
doing the work and, in fact, no list of the work to be done.

If there is a serious problem discovered with the current base
specification, the community will want it fixed.  At that point, getting
rechartering is likely to be pretty easy, since it will have specific
focus, rather than being open-ended.

d/

--
  Dave Crocker