Re: [apps-discuss] IETF technical plenary: the end of application protocols

Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> Tue, 22 March 2011 09:44 UTC

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 20:46:04 +1100
To: Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] IETF technical plenary: the end of application protocols

Since everyone is putting their .02 in...

I'm very glad that we have this plenary topic, precisely because it's getting this kind of response. I've been concerned about the evolution of the browser for some time, for a variety of reasons (some already stated by others):

  - General loss of high-level semantics in favour of low-level functionality (consider: HTTP and WebSockets) because browser vendors want to reduce QA exposure and "get out of the way"

  - Protocols are defined by libraries, not as standards. Thus it's easy to innovate, but hard to build on others' work (e.g., as a middlebox).

  - Corresponding loss of unintended reuse

  - From what I've seen, most libraries tend to ignore aspects of security, internationalisation, dealing with latency, dealing with disconnectedness, and so forth. This leaves users with awkward choices.

  - Comparative weight of a "full" Web stack including JavaScript, HTML5, CSS and more to implement a functional application (I'd encourage people to read the HTML5 specification if they haven't already).

  - Lock-in of data

  - Movement from declarative markup to imperative APIs for all Web functionality

... and so on. What's important for IETF folk to understand is that this *is* happening, and it's going to be very big. The list above is negative, but there are positives too; what I think we should focus on is minimising the negative impacts of this platform, and maximising the positive (to shamelessly borrow from Bill Clinton last week at ICANN).

Cheers,