Re: [apps-discuss] APPSDIR review of draft-gregorio-uritemplate-07

"Murray S. Kucherawy" <msk@cloudmark.com> Wed, 07 December 2011 17:11 UTC

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <msk@cloudmark.com>
To: IETF Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 09:11:39 -0800
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "draft-gregorio-uritemplate.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-gregorio-uritemplate.all@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] APPSDIR review of draft-gregorio-uritemplate-07

I agree that re-stating definitions that are better replaced by references to them is the wiser move.

> > Discussion issues:
> > 1)No IANA actions are required by this document.
> >
> > comments or suggestions:I suggest something in the document to be
> > added to IANA, for example,the operators in section 2 and 3 of this
> > document.
> > If we register these operators in IANA, it will help the future use
> > of these operators/characters.

I don't think this is necessary.  The point of registries is to make something extensible without having to modify its defining document, such as adding header fields to email or MIME types, etc.  In this case, declaring a character as an operator that's not already an operator can alter the semantics of existing templates based on the initial RFC.  So if the set of operators is to change, I suggest that a new RFC would be required, obsoleting previous ones.

-MSK