[apps-discuss] R: the need for acct (was: Re: Looking at Webfinger)

Goix Laurent Walter <laurentwalter.goix@telecomitalia.it> Sat, 07 July 2012 10:43 UTC

From: Goix Laurent Walter <laurentwalter.goix@telecomitalia.it>
To: William Mills <wmills@yahoo-inc.com>, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>, Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 12:43:29 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US, it-IT
x-ti-disclaimer: Disclaimer1
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, IETF Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: [apps-discuss] R: the need for acct (was: Re: Looking at Webfinger)

I do think there are many potential usages of the acct: URI, besides WF.
In particular there are many placeholders of IRIs already appropriate for acct: URIs. Atom feeds (and the related ActivityStreams), the ActivityStreams JSON format, and even the OpenSocial API URI syntax make use of IRIs for identifying users (or in general entities, should this be a group, a place, etc).

Originally many blogging platforms exporting rss/atom feeds have been using the mailto: uri for identifying authors as this has been the most popular at that time. However, most of such platforms did not offer email service and sometimes email accounts provided in such feeds where actually referring to a different domain, which is of course still acceptable.
The rise of social networking services have made even more popular such user-related feeds where account identifiers are disjoints from the mailto namespace/service (or xmpp etc) and where acct: URIs are the most appropriate identifier.

walter