Re: [apps-discuss] Comments on Malformed Message BCP draft

Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@guppylake.com> Sat, 16 April 2011 08:27 UTC

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@guppylake.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 09:27:35 +0100
To: Keith Moore <moore@network-heretics.com>
Cc: ietf-822@imc.org, apps-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Comments on Malformed Message BCP draft

Although all my basic instincts are in agreement with Keith's position -- the only way you will ever persuade message senders to comply more fully with the standards is to reject their non-compliant messages -- my recent experience has turned me 180 degrees and convinced me that this position is hopelessly idealistic.

As some of you know, I have only recently returned to work at a company (Mimecast) whose primary business includes the maintenance and operation of a large-scale MTA.  The situation has changed a lot in the last ten (not to say twenty) years, and in many ways not for the better.  Today's commercial reality is a race to the bottom that more or less guarantees that MTAs will do precisely what Keith says they should not do, which means, to my mind, that it behooves us to document our collective wisdom on the least harmful and most consistent way to do it.

A single example should make this clear:  Nearly every business now receives its mail via some third party email security mechanism -- perhaps an appliance, perhaps locally installed code, and increasingly a cloud-based service.  Competition among these third parties is fierce, and inevitably standards compliance is far less of a driver of business decisions than customer satisfaction.  Imagine, then, that company X, which enforces the standards very strictly, as Keith advocates, manages to "steal" a customer from company Y, which does not.  All of a sudden -- and I assure you this really happens -- a host of slightly-misformatted but customer-desired messages which were delivered by company Y will start getting blocked by company X.  The customer, inevitably, will scream bloody murder.  They won't care that company X is doing a better job of enforcing the standards, they will only care that company X is -- wrongly, in their eyes -- blocking desirable streams of messages that the previous vendor delivered with no visible problem.  The generalization is clear:  the financial and business incentive is to deliver every message that you can possibly figure out how to deliver, so that your service doesn't appear "inferior" to customers who don't give a rat's rump about the details of standards compliance.

I'm not sure why this came as such a surprise to me, as it is actually just another instance of Postel's Law.  Being liberal in what we accept means, in this case, accepting and delivering any message where we believe, with a high level of confidence, that the sender's intentions are clear despite its standards violations.

I can tell you that nothing the IETF says is likely to have any effect on whether or not Mimecast tries to "fix" and deliver such messages -- we do and we will, as do nearly all of our competitors, because although we care what the IETF says, we have no choice but to care what our paying customers say even more.  However, if the IETF offered guidance on the least harmful way to do this, the odds are good that we would follow it.  And I think it would be better if vendors who felt the need to "fix" messages would at least be mutually consistent in how they fix them.

One (probably controversial) idea that might reduce our collective angst would be to specify that, when an MTA fixes such a message, it also generates an explanatory/warning message back to the sender or the sender's postmaster (perhaps limited to 1 message per day per malformation type).  That way we might not be exacerbating existing problems quite as much as Keith and other (myself included) fear.  And the senders of misformatted messages might eventually fix their code, if only to shut up the annoying warning messages.  -- Nathaniel