Re: [aqm] [homenet] IEEE 1905.1 and 1905.1a

Philippe Klein <philippe@broadcom.com> Fri, 27 March 2015 05:36 UTC

From: Philippe Klein <philippe@broadcom.com>
To: Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com>, Hans Liu <hansliu@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 05:36:20 +0000
Deferred-Delivery: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 05:36:00 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.16.203.100]
Cc: HOMENET Working Group <homenet@ietf.org>, "STARK, BARBARA H" <bs7652@att.com>, Claire Cheng <claire.cheng@dlinkcorp.com>, "aqm@ietf.org" <aqm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [aqm] [homenet] IEEE 1905.1 and 1905.1a

IEEE 1905.1 is a protocol that has been designed (I was one of the initial designer)for building a topology data base of the hybrid home network for diagnostic purpose (despite the initial claim in the PAR) and  not a  protocol for dynamic purpose (for example as it’s the message traffic was  intended to be low , the protocol did not took in account the traffic overhead and the multiplication of messages the protocol could create.

A stronger approach will be to consider combining the Layer 3 routing protocol with the L2 IEEE 802.1Qca which provide SPB on multiple paths (editor: Janos.Farkas@ericsson.com<mailto:Janos.Farkas@ericsson.com>). 802.1Qca will allow to optimize the bandwidth by allowing to use the *whole* topology of the home network in a loopfree manner (a simple RSTP might result in using only a subset of the topology).

Additionally 802.1Qca could use the *same* IS-IS database that the one used by the L3 protocol and an optional  distributed model in which one centralized computation path element CPE could remotely populate the (L2) forwarding table of CP (passive node that do not compute paths)  thru LSPs:  the same IS-IS protocol will benefit to both L3 and L2 and this is a big advantage adding any protocol on low end CE nodes that have limited resources is always a challenge and often a roadblock to successful acceptance and deployment.

802.1Qca is not agnostic to IS-IS and any protocol that could populate the topology database will be fine too.

There is a group of people that are active in both  IETF and IEEE 802 that are ready to discuss this approach to create a long needed coherent L3 & L2 stack.
Sincerely
/Philippe

Philippe Klein, PhD |Technical Director, Broadband Technology Group
Broadcom Corporation | Golan House, P.O.Box 273, Airport City, 70100 Israel
(M) +972 54 313 4500 | philippe@broadcom.com<mailto:philippe@broadcom.com%3cmailto:philippe@broadcom.com>